Barclays Additions packaged account fees - Success!

Galatea
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3348 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just in case anyone is interested -

I had an Additions account from the end of 1998. I was told that this was the account I had to have when I finished my studies and was no longer a student.

Unluckily for Barclays, I kept ALL my statements!

So when I heard about reclaiming charges, I added it all up and sent in a form.

No arguments - they paid me back all the fees plus 8% interest per year, even though the account has been closed for a couple of years.

I also sent in a claim for the Overdraft PPI that I was charged for many years. Got that back too!

Good luck to anyone else reclaiming. Just thought a success story may be useful to hear :)

Well done on the PPI – but I suppose that was to be expected.

The charges however, that is a surprise and very well done.

What was the basis for them refunding the charges?

When I was finished being a student I obviously couldn't keep my "student account" with them, so went into Branch and they told me I needed an Additions Account. I had no clue so said yes, fine, you're the expert. I just assumed account fees were normal and didn't realise I could have a free account.

I then had various calls over the years to see if they could find a better account for me, which always ended with them saying "no, nothing better, the Additions is right for you". Because of this I had never tried to cancel it - I just thought that paying an account fee every month was what you did.

When I sent in my forms I explained this, and they agreed that I should have been offered a free account as none of the "perks" of the Additions account were any use to me.

And that was it. One form to them, and a letter and cheque back.

Very pleased to hear this. Well done.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

They had already paid me back for PPI on I think 5 loans and a mortgage - none of which I knew I'd had until I SAR'd them. I'd never wanted or requested PPI on anything. I wonder if that made a difference, as they'd already admitted mis-selling on all of those?

The Overdraft PPI was a shot in the dark - I wasn't sure if it would work the same as for loan etc PPI, obviously it does...

The only one I had trouble with was PPI on a Masterloan (Barclaycard loan) as they said that they had no records of it - when questioned, they said that Masterloan records are not kept in the same way as Barclays records, so although one of the PPI refunds was on an older loan, they couldn't help - different systems.

I was annoyed about this, as I didn't have the original loan agreement, but I did have statements showing loan in, monthly repayments, and final payment. They said they still couldn't calculate it and offered me a goodwill payment of much less than I had calculated.

I sent a complaint to the FOS, and interestingly, after 2 years, they have now found the original agreement and will shortly be making an offer. Of the full amount that I thought they owed... plus an extra 2 years of 8%...

So to anyone being messed about by them - sometimes it's easy, sometimes they lie. But keep going! And good luck :)

OK, I understand. You means for a packaged account - not overdraft charges.

Well done

Oh I'm sorry! Yes, packaged account fees. And PPI on the overdraft.

I didn't have enough overdraft charges to make it worth trying to reclaim those.

Sorry again for not being clear :)

Hi Galatea,

Well done and this is excellent news re the Additions Fees.

We've always told folk to challenge them by Barclays tended to only refund 1 or 2 years fees max !!

They've had to reconsider in light of the the current focus on reclaiming for Packaged Accounts.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)