I need advice regarding a DM15S form from DWP re my deceased uncle's estate

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3340 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am the executor of my recently deceased uncle's esatate. He died without leaving a will and I am the only living blood relative. I applied for a grant of probate in order to be able to close bank accounts etc.

DWP have now written to me asking for details of all bank accounts etc and have warned me that, as he was receiving benefits, they may have overpaid and will look to claim back any such overpayments.

What powers do the DWP have if they start an investigation? Can they trace any/all bank or building society accounts by way of his name and NI no. which they obviously have?

Any 'overpayments' will be taken out of his estate, IF there have been any, and IF he does have anything to give out of his estate, once all the

other vultures have had their pick.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Yeah thanks - I know! I'm really wanting to ascertain what the DWP can find out if they start an investigation.

They can find everything and access information from accounts.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

This might be useful for you.

I found a useful website that has this list.

The order in which debts should be paid

There is a legally laid down priority in which debts must be paid from an estate which is given below.

WARNING: If an organisation such as a bank has multiple assets, e.g. a current account, a savings account, a credit card and a loan, they can legally put all those accounts together to discover if there is an overall positive or negative balance. Therefore it will probably not be possible to use money from a savings acount with money in it to pay for a funeral, if there is an overall debt to the bank.

1. Secured creditors. They will recover what they are owed from the asset which secures the debt. Examples of a secured debt are a mortgage on a property or a loan for purchase of a car. If the asset against which the debt was secured does not cover the entire debt, the balance of the debt falls into the unsecured creditors category.

2. The funeral expenses. These should be reasonable and proportionate to the size of the estate. For example one cannot use £6000 of a £7000 estate on the funeral if there are also debts of several thousands of pounds. A gravestone or other permanent memorial is not considered to be part of the funeral expenses.

Family members who pay for a funeral from their own money may find it difficult to recover the money later if there are other creditors.

Please do not arrange a funeral if you do not know where the money to pay for it will come from. Call us for more information on what to do in this situation.

3. Testamentary expenses. These are the expenses you incur as part of the administration of the estate. You should keep a careful record of these and keep any receipts for petrol or train journeys, postage etc. You may also want to ask for proof of posting certificates at a Post Office which are free of charge.

4. Preferred debts and Preferential debts – these are very rare and will not apply in most cases. Wages due to employees are preferential debts and this may apply where the deceased received direct payments for employing carers.

5. Unsecured creditors e.g. debts to local and central government. utility bills, bank loans, credit and store card debts.

6. Interest due on unsecured loans.

7. Deferred debts – an example would be an informal loan between family members.

Legally, all the debts must be paid strictly in this order and all debts in 1 take priority over those in 2 and so on down the list.

Please note that all debts in a category must be paid before moving onto the next category. If there is insufficient money to completely clear the debts in one category money should be paid to each one in proportion to the money owed.

Taken from http://www.bereavementadvice.org/probate-and-other-legal-procedures/insolventestates.php

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D