Need some advice regarding a bed I ordered

Deimos
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3338 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'll try and keep it brief and stick to the facts.

Ordered a bed online via a company based in England, bed arrived, but was damaged and missing a bunch of parts

I informed them of the damage and asked to return the bed, they offered to replace the missing and damaged parts, but I asked for a refund instead.

They agreed, somewhat reluctantly and this is where I need advice, they told me to package up the bed and send it back myself.

Okay thats fine, we normally need to exchange the item first but i'll accept a return on this occasion.

Please send the bed packaged to

I Sent it back via Parcel2go (TNT express delivery), costing me around £37, they weren't in to sign for it, so the item was taken back to the delivery hub, they claim to have arranged delivery for a couple of days later, but TNT sent the bed back to me.

Parcel2go won't give me a refund because the delivery was attempted

It took nearly two weeks to get the 2nd part of the bed back from TNT and the parcel was basically wrecked, with gaping holes in it.

I currently have a claim for damage with Parcel2go on that front

So I sent the bed back AGAIN, via another courier and it was received (another £17)

But, the bed company is only offering a refund of the bed and delivery cost (I've yet to see the refund(s) so far)

Yes ive recieved the 2 boxes. Thank you for sending them.

I have refunded your card £136.50 (we are not normally obliged to refund delivery costs but i have refunded you £17.50 in view of your troubles)

My question is, shouln't they be liable for the costs of sending the bed back, for both occasions?

Why was it sent back the first time at double the cost of the second time?

The law requires them to pay you your shipping costs of sending the bed back to them. They have received one bed back and have paid you the shipping costs.

The first set are not their costs to be paid. It was a failed delivery by tnt who are the ones you would need to seek recourse with.

It doesn't look like the bed company refused delivery.

Different courier, I used parcel2go first, the only option was TNT, due to the size of the parcel

After it came back, I used parcel monkey, the DX courier was half the price.

They haven't paid the shipping costs, they say they've refunded the bed and the original delivery cost (to send it to me)

Total price was £119 for the bed and £35 for delivery, so £154.00 total.

First attempt to send the bed back, cost me £36.70

Second attempt cost me £18.53.

The refund message I got from Worldpay for the return of the bed, said:

has been refunded partially by GBP 136.50

Where are they? And where are you?

What we all costs of packaging and any other losses such as having to wait in for the bed to be picked up by a courier?

Which is the bed company? Or are you trying to protect them?

They're in Kings Lynn, Norfolk, I'm in Worthing, West Sussex.

No packaging costs, as the original packaging was intact (until TNT wrecked it), but I taped it up as best I could and sent it back again via the other courier.

I work from home, so no time was needed off from work.

The company is called Reinforced Beds (http://www.reinforcedbeds.co.uk)

YUK! what a pickle :|

As I see it, you organised and paid for returning the bed so that part of the contract is down to you to chase Parcel2go. Ideally the bed company should have arranged pick up but that is by the by now.

The second delivery was successful so the bed Co. owes you £154 + £18.53 not the £136.50 they have refunded which leaves you to chase the delivery company for the failed delivery. My reasoning for chasing P2G is the act they only tried one delivery then sent it back to you. You paid for delivery, they didn't fulfill the contract. Whether you get anything back is another matter. They may argue that they tried to deliver so that part of the contract is done OR they may offer 50% back for failed delivery.

This is my feelings on it. Others no doubt will disagree (as is right)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Yea P2G ...let me find the message from them...

Hi XXXXX, I am very sorry to hear that - the courier has confirmed they were attempting to the address given to them, so unfortunately we can only offer the £5 prepay to your Parcel2Go account. Emily

Which is contrary to what the bed compamy told me

I chased this up yesterday morning with TNT and they said itd be delivered yesterday but nothing still came.

I believe the bed company, because TNT's own tracking doesn't show a second delivery attempt

Their response was:

In our terms and conditions we state that all delivery costs are non refundable.

I have refunded you £17.50 in view of your courier troubles though

Their terms and conditions, don't seem to mention delivery costs being non refundable - http://www.reinforcedbeds.co.uk/pages/terms-conditions

Their refund policy page however, does say:

You will be responsible for paying for your own delivery costs for returning your item. These costs are non-refundable. If you receive a refund, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund.

But the distance selling regulations, as far as I can tell, say that's not allowed

The sale of Goods axct as amended to cover distance sales places the responsibility for the return of faulty goods upon the suppleir. this menas either they arrance collection or they pay you for the return postage costs. Their response saying they are not responsible is unfortunately typical of many small companies that live only in cyberworld and commonly go broke in double quick time.

Give them 14 days to refund the shipping costs or you will take action to recover the debt that can include legal action without further notice.