multiple Home Insurance Claims

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3372 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I just wanted to check if I can make 2-3 claims on my insurance at the same time. I need to check if my garden is covered (wind blew fence down), but apart from that I would like to make 2 claims in my bedroom. I fell off step ladders and they fell into my mirrored wardrobes cracking it. I an eye shadow pallet off my unit and it smashed off the mirrored wardrobe ledge and landed on my cream carpet. It's black and I can't lift it for love nor money. Anyway; cpuld I claim for both?

Thanks

Fences are generally not covered for winds, including storms. - Check though and make sure it was storm winds (50 mph plus).

Regarding the mirror, often there is standard cover for glass and sanitary ware, it could come under this. The carpet damage will depend on if you have accidental cover for contents. Carpets are considered as contents unless glued down.

You may want to consider the cost prior to doing this, balance against excess, increased premiums (which is the tricky bit), and consider thar even if you don't claim, your risk profile increases the premium.

If you have the cover, it's your entitlement to claim under the policy

Remember that there would be a separate policy excess for each claim made and you will get heavily penalised at renewal with a higher premium, as well as additional terms e.g increased excess. The Insurers could even refuse to Insure you from renewal. This could make it very difficult to obtain Insurance elsewhere at an affordable premium.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the replies. I have accidental damage cover and my excess is £50. I wasn't sure about the fence but the mirror and carpet should be covered. I was unsure whether I should do the two claims at one time?

You will probably find that the excess of £50 is doubled since you are making 2 claims.

Factor this £100 loss in addition to your future increased premiums and you'd probably find it would make more economic sense not to claim at all.

In addition to the economic sense, the other factor is a loss adjuster, betterment, you would be having a new carpet which is better than what you already have, it is highly likely that if your new carpet costs £300, insurance take away £150 because of betterment, plus your excess, so, they end up paying you £100 - and then claw this money back from you with increased premiums. (figures are an example)

It took me a few years to learn this... Now I just have building insurance (required by mortgage).

To answer your question about you being unsure to do two claims at the same time, this is acceptable, but it would still probably mean 2 lots of £50 excess.