Purchased Motorcycle Privately

tonybm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3370 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I purchased a Motorcycle last sunday the 8th which was from a gumtree ad so basically private. The bike was description didn't mention any issues.

On my way to see the bike the Private seller mentioned a problem with the starter motor but he would consider £150 of the cost of the bike which was £950 so basically £800. So i took the bike of which i had no knowledge of how it should run or how much the fault would be to get fixed etc. I took it to a bike mechanic near my work to look at the described fault and it wasn't as he said it was something else.

Which the mechanic then repaired but on doing so he said "but that is not what concerns me" and pointed out another fault which he mentioned the Imortal word everyone dreads "safety" especially when riding a motorbike in central London as i do. So i notified the person i purchased from and he said "I dont believe those parts need replacing prove it"

So i took the bike to another garage for a second opinion and he said there are major problems with that bike and the chap that had sold you the bike knew this which is why he has sold it to you.I have texted and left voicemails for this person and had no responce funnily or not so for me im more than a tad angry.So i have a copy of the original advert from gumtree and have an audit trail of the messages(mainly me messaging him) plus times and dates where i have called him with no answer etc.

So as i have no address to visit him even though he probably thinks "your problem pal". So once i get the log book through im thinking my only route is small claims court is this worth pursuing?.

Edited by Conniff

It sounds as it you have been the victim of one of the classic cons in vehicle purchase. Firstly you didn't meet at his house, (but even that can be part of the deceit), and secondly there is no V5 to confirm that the seller actually owns the bike and has the right to sell it.

You will probably find that the V5, (if it arrives), will have the past owners name on and not the sellers leaving you with a piece of junk on your hands and no recourse possible.

What are the problems that you have mentioned ? A fuller description would help.