being moved to a different branch

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On behalf of friend.

Works in retail as shop manager in Wimbledon.

V good at job and is considered best manager in area.

Area manager want to move him to a struggling branch in new malden.

He doesn't want to go.

What are his options.

Have asked him to send me contract.

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

Almost certainly depends upon what is in his contract - if it specifies his current branch then he doesn't have to move, if a branch or location isn't specified and it would be reasonable for him to move, then he's not got much arguement, though it would depend on his reasons e.g. if the travel time would be greater and he has any sort of caring commitment.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

We've not got the contract to hand but we think it will not be branch specific.

If this is the case, it will come down to

1. Convincing management to not take this step

2. Financials. His bonus will be affective as he is ahead of the curve in the shop he manages but the other shop is so far behind, he would have no chance of achieving bonus. Therefore there is an implied pay cut.

Any thoughts on point 2?

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

We've not got the contract to hand but we think it will not be branch specific.

If this is the case, it will come down to

1. Convincing management to not take this step

2. Financials. His bonus will be affective as he is ahead of the curve in the shop he manages but the other shop is so far behind, he would have no chance of achieving bonus. Therefore there is an implied pay cut.

Any thoughts on point 2?

He could negotiate a temporary pay deal until he gets the other shop up to the targets.

They'll probably say no, but as he's being moved to sort the other shop out and he's very good at his job, they might offer something.

Asking doesn't cost anything.

In my experience all retailers with multiple shops insert a clause in their contract where they can move you to any reasonable location.

Wimbledon/Malden is only a few miles, so that would be deemed reasonable to them.

It's all academic until you get the contract and only the mobility clause has any weight

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Most management positions in retail especially will have a mobility clause requiring a move to any branch which they require the manager to work at. The company I am most familiar with think nothing of making managers travel 40+ miles to their store as a part of their job.

As stated - check and take it from their. The key is negotiation, but being awkward could see any career progression cut short and even a permanent move to a store even further away!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

• 4 months later...

Bit late to the post here, but all the above does seem rather negative.

It seems the company think highly of his worth and abilities and will clearly want his 100% commitment to the job rather than even subconscious resistance due to feeling 'hard done to'

This would perhaps be a better negotiating stance, and being a troubleshooter/resolver used by a company to 'fix broken shops' would look very good on his CV should it not work out as he would like.

Why trust doctors and science, when you can trust the internets:

blithering idiots, think tank shills, client journalists, disinformation bots and trolls

“The fossil fuel industry is feasting on subsidies and windfall profits

while household budgets shrink and our planet burns"

UN secretary general Antonio Guterres