DWP taking my money!

joe1965
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3403 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a letter today from DWP that they have taken out a Direct Earnings Attachment on me for debts which are over 15 years old!

Looking through some of the threads on here it seems that it is legal but is there anything I can do to stop it?

Would a SAR be any good to see if they can provide a copy of the agreement or am I just screwed?

The DWP now has the power to do this, yes. No harm in sending a SAR, especially since the DWP does not charge the permitted £10 fee.

As to what you can do, well, first off, have you previously been informed of the debt/overpayment, and if so, when? Do you think that their calculations are correct, or do you disagree that you owe the money?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Apparently the law has ben changed so they can use the direct earnings attachment. But if I do a SAR and they cant provide the paperwork where do I stand if they can't provide proof that it's owed?

They didn't provide any proof just a letter saying money was owed

You can telephone and ask for the dates, where, what type of Benefit the DWP are collecting etc.

As advised above, send the DWP a SAR request, unlike other SAR requests to private Companies/Charities, it is free!

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Sadly u may now face obstacles as you did not follow the procedure 2 years ago.

2 Years ago the letter would of had a "if you think this is wrong" bit allowing you time for an appeal. that time has no long since passed

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Ok will do, and if they can't provide it , what then?

You have found out the hard way that statute-barring does not apply to DWP debts. Whilst they may not be able to recover through the courts they have powers to recover through deductions from earnings and/or future benefits.

If you actually have any proper reasons to think you should not have to repay it you should have told them 2 years ago. Sadly there's little or nothing you can do about it now.