Court summons for unpaid car tax

Angel659
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3413 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a court summons for unpaid car tax. I am so stupid!

I got the car end of October and I was meant to pay for car tax, but kept forgetting.

the car broke in November and has had lots of issues that I have taken it to places to get looked at and haven't taxes or sorn it.

I did receive a letter in November for a fine, but I was so stressed out I completely forgot about it until today.

I understands am guilty and will plea this, but I am worried about if I would go to prison or how much the fine could be.

Can I do anything to prevent this going to court if I paid the initial fine?

Please help😒

Hope this answers your questions.

The DVLA maintain a computer database of all vehicles registered in the UK. Database checks are made on a monthly basis and amongst other things, this database informs them of which vehicles have current tax along with those that don't. If the system flags a vehicle as being untaxed and not declared SORN, an automated letter and fine of £80 will be issued to the registered keepers address. Early settlement of this fine if paid within 28 days can see a 50% discount where you will be required to pay a fine of £40.

Failure to settle the fine will result in prosecution where the court may increase the fine to a maximum of £1000 depending on the circumstances (this usually includes any tax arrears owed), plus offenders will be faced with paying court costs.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

That is the Late Licensing Penalty, not a fine, and is treated as a civil debt which would be dealt with at County Court.

As the OP has a summons it will be dealt with at Magistrates Court.

The penalty is usually an income related fine, plus the victim support surcharge, costs, and the outstanding duty.

Thank you. It's my own stupid fault, I should have sorned the car too

Lesson learnt hard.

I was more worried about going to prison, but looks like it will be a fine only,

just have to fill in the form they provided for outgoings.

I've regularly heard of DVLA trying to do 'deals' at Courtroom doors with Defendants who attend and have not indicated a guilty plea in advance. (Not sure if that was County or Magistrates Court).

The basis being, any 'deal' would involve all your money going directly to DVLA (to offset their budget excesses!) whereas Magistrates Court fines etc go directly to central government funds (other than any Costs application awarded).

So DVLA have a strong financial incentive to settle out of Court rather than continue the prosecution.

Without disclosing any intentions to plead Guilty or Defend, consider turning up early and when approached by the DVLA person beforehand, offer them the original penalty offer for them to withdraw the case.

Could be a cheaper way out.

Others will shoot down my theory if appropriate.