Car damaged on car park speed hump

JoeyJoeC
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3401 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think I already know there is nothing I can do about this, but just in case...

Was driving at the top of the Liberty / Mall car park in Romford a couple of days ago. Lots of traffic heading out to the exit. Went over a very high plastic lump of a speed bump going as slow as possible over it, (1mph or less) and after the front wheels went over, it scraped the entire bottom of my car breaking the exhaust which now is blowing.

My car isn't partially low, it has an after market suspension on there, but some new cars come that low.

The speedbump is higher than the allowed 10cm, looked to me around 20cm high and short. No way to avoid it other than blocking the car park...

Anything I can do?

you can write to the owners of the car park and tell them about the damage and that the hump is higher than allowed on a public highway and ask them why they consider it necessary to install something that can be forseen as to be likely to cause damage and what are they going to do about it?

As long as your suspension is road legal and meets any minimum requirements, I would suggest when you consider their reply a small claims action for damages.

To include garage repair fees

Loss of wages due to not being able to get to work (IF this is applicable)

Cost of public transport

Get a few different quotes for the repair work and go from there.

IF they do not want to stump up the costs then get the work done and send a letter before action itemizing the damage and costs. Not guaranteed but worth a shot.

Remember asking the mechanic to identify in writing that the exaust broke due to the hump would be good. Also photographs of hump with applicable measureing stick alongside it showing hight. Photographs of damage. etc

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

As long as your suspension is road legal and meets any minimum requirements, I would suggest when you consider their reply a small claims action for damages.

To include garage repair fees

Loss of wages due to not being able to get to work (IF this is applicable)

Cost of public transport

Get a few different quotes for the repair work and go from there.

IF they do not want to stump up the costs then get the work done and send a letter before action itemizing the damage and costs. Not guaranteed but worth a shot.

Remember asking the mechanic to identify in writing that the exaust broke due to the hump would be good. Also photographs of hump with applicable measureing stick alongside it showing hight. Photographs of damage. etc

Thanks, I will check to make sure the height of my car is the legal height, I'm sure it is but it is slightly lower than standard. Annoyingly, my dash camera stopped working a few weeks ago thus I didn't have a video recording of my speed and the horrible bang and scrape.

The car park management are looking in to it now.

Thanks, I will check to make sure the height of my car is the legal height, I'm sure it is but it is slightly lower than standard. Annoyingly, my dash camera stopped working a few weeks ago thus I didn't have a video recording of my speed and the horrible bang and scrape.

The car park management are looking in to it now.

Also get others advice on who to claim against. It might be landowner u need to claim against

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Awkward situation as it is someone I know, so I feel I can't complain to them too much.

They said to contact APCOA, as they manage the land, and when I asked who the land owner was, she seemed slightly disgruntled and said it doens't matter as APCOA manage the land and have liability.

They seemed adamant that the contract put all blame on APCOA, I have emailed them and wait for a response. If I don't get a reply I will send a letter instead.

I will inspect the damage at the weekend when it is light and take pictures. The exhaust was defiantly damaged since immediately after you could hear the loud deep drone coming from the exhaust under the car.

photos and mechanic report to back up your claim should you need to go to small claims. Keep reciepts for repair work etc

I hope you have photos. They need to be taken with a ruler against the offending bump, and a 50p coin against the ruler to prove callibration.

I fell foul to this after a motorbike accident. By the time I was recovered sufficiently from hitting a pothole and being thrown under an oncoming Transit Van, the pothole was long gone. Sadly I now carry a measuring tape in the car with me, as I've had tyres go in big potholes since and claimed from the council.

I realise this is a private car park, and only the contract would state whether it is the company or the landowner who is responsible (hard to get sight of that!) However, if they didn't pay up after a LBA, the newspapers would be interested.