Social Housing Assured Tenancy and Inheritance

PoppySong
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3441 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have an assured tenancy in a housing association flat. I first moved into the complex in January, 1994. Due to my disability stairs were a real problem, so in February 2001 I transferred down to this flat which is on the ground floor.

If I came into some money would I have to leave my flat?

The amount wouldn't be enough for me to buy my own place and I wouldn't get a mortgage as I am not working due to disability. This flat has been adapted for me and can be adapted further should I need to use a wheelchair in the future.

I would stop my means tested benefits and would then be paying my own rent direct to the HA.

I'd welcome any info/advice. Thanks

Hi and welcome to CAG.

Unless the flay was purely for housing benefit claimants then I would say no!!

In reality, so long as the rent is paid, the housing association won't care one jot about an inheritance. Just don't forget to declare it to the benefits department and once any inheritance has been reduced to a certain level, reclaim the benefit but don't go spending wildly as they could see that as an attempt to reduce your income deliberately to get benefit.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

The flats are for everyone. I thought the same, as long as the rent is paid I can't see they'd mind.

As soon as the money is in my bank account I will go straight into the offices and let the benefits people know.

I will live off it carefully and like you say reapply for benefits when i get below the threshold.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Agree entirely with silverfox. Please don't worry yourself. :-)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It won't hurt to ask but plenty of people pay rent to HA's without claiming benefits. What makes you think there might be a problem?

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

You are an assured tenant. They can't just kick you out. Isn't gonna happen anyway but if you feel that a conversation with your HA will help, go for it.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

All it can do by asking is to put your mind at rest. If you've got your tenancy agreement handy you could check in there.

I did look in the Tenancy Agreement and there's nothing about coming into money.

Then nothing to worry about. I hope you allow yourself the odd little treat. ;)

Caro, As I will lose my means tested benefits, I will have to live off the money I get, so no real treats, but it will be nice to feel I am not taking money from the state.

Thanks for your help.