NHS prescription penalty charges (again)

hertygruten
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3448 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've just received a penalty charge notice from NHS BSA for a prescription I got a couple of months ago. I rang up to complain (more details below) but didn't get anywhere with persuading the lady on the other end of the phone that I wasn't at fault. I have two questions: Firstly - how do I appeal? It doesn't seem obvious from the net or from the letter the NHS sent me. Secondly, do I have a case against the penalty charge (deets below)?

So, the story: Basically, I rang up my GP about 2 months ago and asked for some items that were on prescription. They asked me if I had a pharmacy I preferred, I said yes and gave them the details of a place I'd got prescriptions from before. The last time I visited the pharmacy (I've since discovered) I used a prescription prepayment card and therefore was exempt from the charges, but that card expired 6 months ago.

About 2 days after I spoke to the GP I came home and my medications (without any accompanying documentation, that I can recall) were on the doormat having been posted through the letterbox. I thought that was a little strange as I thought there would be a bill with it or similar, but I was kind of busy with work, etc. at the time, so didn't really look into it. About 2 weeks later... penalty charge. I've never seen the prescription documentation, ticked any boxes, signed anything, or actively misrepresented myself, as far as I can tell, but the lady at NHS BSA's (spurious) argument was that I should have known to ring up the pharmacy and say that I no longer had a prescription prepayment card. I didn't, in fact, even know that the pharmacy was going to deliver the medications, and I assumed there would be a bill forthcoming. My argument was that it was on the pharmacy to check my prepayment status, not to assume that I did.

So, am I going to get anywhere or am I just banging my head against a brick wall?