Refused because i am male

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3301 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does this sound right, where do i stand. I saw a job advert going for 'self employed cleaners required, must drive and have own transport and have some experience'

I meet all of the above criteria, was speaking to employer (or not as would be self employed), getting on fine, then was rejected just because i am a man.

Sexist springs to mind

Is their anything i can do or just accept it, i have it in writing that i was refused just because i am a man.

Doesn't sound right to me, but if you would only be working for this company you wouldn't really be self employed either. Sounds to me like they're trying to avoid employment costs, paying holiday etc.

The only reason I can think why they couldn't employ a man would be religious grounds.

Are you just asking a question or looking to take things further?

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi,

If the job is 'protected' where the job is restricted to women ( for example and I'm guessing here, a woman's refuge) then you have nothing. You would need to get a few more facts before you can go the sex discrimination route.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Doesn't sound right to me, but if you would only be working for this company you wouldn't really be self employed either. Sounds to me like they're trying to avoid employment costs, paying holiday etc.

The only reason I can think why they couldn't employ a man would be religious grounds.

Are you just asking a question or looking to take things further?

I am not sure, i am miffed by it, When i questioned why because i meet all criteria i was told it was because this companies clients do not want male cleaners going in to their property's including some elderly clients

Hi,

If the job is 'protected' where the job is restricted to women ( for example and I'm guessing here, a woman's refuge) then you have nothing. You would need to get a few more facts before you can go the sex discrimination route.

No not at all, this is a domestic cleaning company who are looking for cleaners to work on a self employed basis cleaning mainly domestic properties.

I am not sure, i am miffed by it, When i questioned why because i meet all criteria i was told it was because this companies clients do not want male cleaners going in to their property's including some elderly clients

Was there an advert and if so did it state that they only wanted women?

What's Best for You?

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Was there an advert and if so did it state that they only wanted women?

This is the exact advert

IM LOOKING TO TAKE ON SOME MORE SELF EMPLOYED CLEANERS YOU MUST BE ABLE TO DRIVE, HAVE OWN TRANSPORT, AND SOME EXPERIENCE, THIS IS FOR DOMESTIC HOUSES IN THE LOCAL AREA DAY TIME WORK PLS PM ME FOR MORE DETAILS

No indication they only want women for some reason. The whole thing stinks to me. Frankly I think you've had a lucky escape. Question is whether you want to pursue the matter.

See what others think.

What's Best for You?

No indication they only want women for some reason. The whole thing stinks to me. Frankly I think you've had a lucky escape. Question is whether you want to pursue the matter.

See what others think.

Yes i agree, but i am a man of principle and to be rejected just because i am a man has really rilled me, person said to me well you don't get many women builders do you.

Yes i agree, but i am a man of principle and to be rejected just because i am a man has really rilled me, person said to me well you don't get many women builders do you.

That is disgusting.

What's Best for You?

TBH you are well away from that one. A complaint to the equalities Commissioner probably ont even get an acknowledgement.

As the job means going into people's houses it may be possbible that every client has already said that they require a female cleaner and S4 of the old sex discrimination act applies but I somehow doubt it. I bet they dont pay minimum wage, dont pay travel costs , holidays etc and women are perceived to put up with sh*t like that more than men.

• 4 months later...

To the OP the EXACT same thing happend to me many years ago by probably the same company. Sexism at its worst, after all wouldn't there be an uproar if the roles were reversed!!?? The (In)Equality act 2010 ALSO supports this type of anti-male sexism.

The (In)Equality act 2010 ALSO supports this type of anti-male sexism
No it doesn't - the Equality Act is gender neutral. People tend to focus more on anti-female discrimination but anti-male discrimination is perfectly legally actionable.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

It sounds like you have a case for an employment tribunal here on grounds of unlawful discrimination.

However

you need to work out and answer the following questions in order to help decide whether it is worth it.

1) What are my aims here

2) What Compensation could I be entitled to

3) What are the costs in launching this case

4) Am I going to litigate in person or pay legal fees

5) Do I have time to do days of research?

6) Is this worth the stress

7) Is the outcome of 2) going to offest any legal fees?

8) What is my chance of winning.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.