How is Council Tax calculated?

shortwoman68
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3472 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My father has a house which has what is classed as 6 bedrooms however one of the rooms is a what you call a box room as all you can fit in there is a single wardrobe and a single bed and a small chest of drawers. I have been watching Benefits Britain and recall that a man had one of his rooms measured for bedroom tax and it was said that it was too small to fulfil the criteria. Is this the same for council tax?

Yup - houses are assigned to a "band" between A and H, I think, based on their value. Band A properties are the lowest value, band H the highest. Each council then works out a rate for each band, and then applies any discounts or reductions that may be appropriate (for example, Single Adult Rebate) to work out how much is due each year. So while you might expect houses with more rooms to have higher CT bills because, in general, they're bigger and probably worth more, there's no direct connection between the two things.

So it doesn't matter how the small room in your father's house is classified for CT purposes.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.