Barclaycard old debt no update for 4 years despite paying

BlueEarner
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3455 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Like many other debts I am trying to sort out independently after Payplan dmp closure.

Barclaycard Visa, I last heard from them by mail 4 years ago, at my old address, when I was living there. My guess is they have not updated my new address details.

I have been paying them through PaySham until a few months ago.

Paysham estimate the debt as £350.

In reality, who knows. It may have even been transferred to a DCA. Again, who knows.

I wrote to them with a CCA a year ago.

And then again in June stating that as I had not heard from them,

I would withhold payment (as I did with other creditors). No response.

Common sense says I write to them again confirming my updated address.

But is there any merit in just leaving it, as the ball is in their court so to speak?

And if I do write to them, they may have already sold the debt on :|

Im tempted to do that, but just wondering if the onus is on me to ensure they have the correct address.

4 years is a long time to not even send a statement.

Who knows it could have amassed huge interest, charges - and I wouldnt even know about it.

So i guess my question is

if I wrote to them to ensure they know where I live,

would that communication then act as some kind of 'acknowledgement of debt'

or reset the SB clock or whatever?

The danger is if you do not update y our contact details they may sell the debt on.

THEN the new owner may try (or Barclays themselves) to issue a small claims claim. This would be served to your last known address, If you do not know you cannot defend which means they get a CCJ in default.

IF you update your address you get the oppertunity to defend. If you do not update details and you get a ccj awarded against you, you will be hard pressed ot get the judgement set aside.

However if you update your details and they then serve papers to the old address, getting a set aside would be easy.

As you mentioned VISA I invite you to look at the following threads.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?309037-Charges-older-than-6-years-***WON***-Compound-Int-t-and-**NO-SET-OFF**/page4

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?423713-Barclaycard-Link

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

tell them and get a CCA request

and an SAR going.

what does your credit file say?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

link is ok below

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Blue,

I'd send them 2 letters :-

First to say they are in default of your lawful CCA request of xxdate and that payments will now be withheld.

Second is the SAR request (in the Library) enclosing the £10 fee. This will show what interest or penalty charges have been added over the last 6 years. Reclaiming penalty charges with restitutionary interest could reduce the balance considerably.

Was there any PPI on this a/c ? The SAR should also disclose this.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I would check lon your CRA Files like youve mentioned.

I suspect being BC they would report to all 3 CRAs.

Good advice from Slick. SAR to check charges and PPI etc.

Id like to see BC worm themselves out of this one.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Thanks all. Ive never done an SAR before - £10 PO is tricky from abroad. Im not resident in the UK anymore, so those relatives will still come in handy after all.:wink:

Regarding the signature -obviously not on the CCA, but if the SAR is in the same envelope - I assume that shouldnt be signed either?

And is it necessary to get this Digital Anti Tamper one or would just typed capitals suffice? Previously I've only ever done it the latter.

The noddle link definitely does not work. it goes to the .co.uk link but comes up as Chromes 'this webpage is not available'. Maybe because of my location, Im not sure. Is it only for people resident in the UK? Might need one of those VPN's if so.

Oh - btw, I sent Barclaycard a second letter in July, to say that the CCA I sent in December 2013 had not been acknowledged, and as a result I would with hold any payments....

Now its December 2014, still not heard a sausage :!:

I'll crack on with an SAR then.

cca goes to the new owner

sar to BC.

dx

and they

Ah ok. I had sent the CCA to barclaycard back in 2013. Along with the with hold payment letter in July. There may well be a new owner, but I have never been informed. Payplans listing was just Barclaycard's 'External Relationship Team' in Kirkby.

Seems to me like a lost debt!

circles around again to needing to see your credit file.

dx

and they

OK, regarding at least updating Barclaycard with my address (for a third time), just incase of CCJs, dcas, and so on, I have composed the following letter:

"Dear Sir/Madam

RE: account XXXXXXXXXX

I have sent you two letters and still no reply. Please confirm that you have updated your records accordingly to my address as shown above.

The first letter I sent you was December 2013 as a request for a copy of the original CCA agreement. The second letter was in July 2014, well in excess of the statutory time, to inform you that I would withhold payments as the CCA request had not been acknowledged. I have not heard from Barclaycard since December 2010.

For the last time, your department needs to update its records as to my current address.

Yours faithfully,

XXXX"

Not sure what else to do...I dont want to spend £10 on an SAR which might not be acknowledged either! I figure at least establishing a link of communication first.

the sar will do both

update your address

and get all the info you need

if you send it to the register office

DSAR TEAM

address

let them work it out!

dx

and they

The danger is if you do not update y our contact details they may sell the debt on.

THEN the new owner may try (or Barclays themselves) to issue a small claims claim. This would be served to your last known address, If you do not know you cannot defend which means they get a CCJ in default.

IF you update your address you get the oppertunity to defend. If you do not update details and you get a ccj awarded against you, you will be hard pressed ot get the judgement set aside.

However if you update your details and they then serve papers to the old address, getting a set aside would be easy.

As you mentioned VISA I invite you to look at the following threads.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?309037-Charges-older-than-6-years-***WON***-Compound-Int-t-and-**NO-SET-OFF**/page4

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?423713-Barclaycard-Link

Thanks SabreSheep,

A very interesting thread and well done with that one.

The tricky thing is with county court action - either myself threatening action, or a company/dca threatening me - is how it could logistically happen when I am resident on the other side of the globe, literally. Its hard enough trying to get letters sent from here with UK postal orders.

The closest I have ever come to this is one creditor writing to me here saying that if payment is not recieved, they will persue legal action through the local courts in my area. I'd like to see them try!