Ancient MBNA / Westcot, now Arrows - N1 issued

Bookworm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3477 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey oop.

Rusty ol' me passing through, helping someone and I'm pondering on best course of action (not helped by lack of docs from the OP).

C/C debt passed from OC to DCA to another DCA, then returned to 1st DCA.

Last contact was in 2009 or 10.

Suddenly, N1 appeared, lodged by Drysden, of course. OP has no recollection of ever getting a default notice, assignment or anything like that.

I've told him to acknowledge for now while I refresh my memory, but I am dithering on where to best handle it.

I am thinking:

- contact Arrows with CCA request.

I am 99% sure that there will not be compliant paperwork,

the CC was obtained in 1996 or 7, so odds of a valid contract existing are I think highly improbable.

Even if by miracle it still exists, the odds of it having all the required elements and being legible etc is just as remote, IMO.

- request paper trail: default notice, assignment.

The POC is very generic and vague and does not mention any date at which the notices were supposedly sent to OP,

which make me suspicious, in the past, when I have been hounded,

if they had followed the paper trail properly, they would say so straight away.

- defence: putting claimant to strict proof of, well, pretty much everything: the amounts, assignment, etc.

What annoys me is that at some point, the debt became SB then one of the DCAs managed to scare OP into starting payment anyway

(he didn't know anything about these illegal tactics)...

The aim is either to get the claimants to see they won't get an easy ride of it a

nd that this is one defendant which won't go down quietly, a

nd hopefully discontinue sooner rather than later.

If that doesn't work, then make sure that them chasing after a debt which became toxic a long time ago costs

them a lot of money and work by the time OP gets to court.

Any opinions, advice, have I missed an obvious trick? Fire away and thank in advance.

What annoys me is that at some point, the debt became SB then one of the DCAs managed to scare OP into starting payment anyway (he didn't know anything about these illegal tactics)...

Does this not have an impact on the status - once SB always SB if the 6 years passed cleanly ?

Under the Limitations Act 1980 the time limits are

in simple contracts, 6 years

in contracts under seal, 12 years.

If the debtor acknowledges the debt in writing or makes a part payment within the original limitation period, then the time limits start to run again from the date of acknowledgement or the date of payment.

Even though the lender may be barred from pursuing recovery, a debtor may decide to pay the debt after the expiry of the time limits. Because of this you should allow a debt which is otherwise statute-barred if the personal representatives pay the debt and you receive evidence that the payment has been made.

Bookworm, if there was a period of over 6 years where the OP didn't make payments or acknowledge then despite resumption of payments under duress, the debt is, as I understand it still statute barred.

I will alert others on the site team for more advice.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Bookworm..

Looks like I was correct, if there was a period of 6 years where your relative didn't make payment the debt would have become SB'd.. it matters not that your relative has been tricked/pressured into making further payments, it doesn't unbar it -sadly the creditor or DCA has been the recipient of monies it wouldn't otherwise have had .

SB defence

once SB always SB.

" What annoys me is that at some point' date=' the debt became SB[/color'] then one of the DCAs managed to scare OP into starting payment anyway "

If can be proven it was already SB before payment then as per dx above.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

That is fantastic news. I did not know that. Excellent.

Thank you so much. I am writing the chap's defence this afternoon (not a relative, not even someone I know well, lol, but you know me, a sucker for helping strangers!) and I was toying with the idea of throwing the SB thing in anyway, so that should really be the final nails in these b*****s coffin.

Brilliant. Right, I'm off again to write that defence. Thanks again. :whoo:

The following defence is all you need if it is SB Booky

1 The Claimant's claim was issued on (insert date).

2 The Defendant contends that the Claimant's claim so issued is a claim in contract and is statute barred pursuant to the provisions of section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980. If, which is denied, the claimant contends that the Defendant is in breach of the alleged contract, in excess of 6 years have elapsed since the date on which any cause of action for breach accrued for the benefit of the Claimant.

3 The Claimant's claim to be entitled to payment of £x or any other sum, or relief of any kind is denied.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks, Andy.

The problem is that while I am pretty sure the claim is SB, my chap cannot be certain. He has very patchy documentation, and his recollection of the event of so many years ago is even patchier. I can't take the chance of just claiming SB and then, bang, they pull out of the hat token payments made here and there, just enough to stop the LA to kick in, you know?

So, whilst I am indeed going to put in the LA1980, I can't solely rely on that. Belt and braces approach, as well as spats, umbrella, safety cable and wellies, frankly. :D

If they do pull out any "payments", then you can ask for them to prove how they were paid

It has been known for "phantom" payments to be made to an account.

Also, some creditors/DCAs had the novel idea of applying the SAR and CCA statutory fees to the accounts.. all this means is that there is an unsolicited payment.. these fees are NOT to be used to reduce the balance or mess around with the SB clock.

BCOBS

Also, some creditors/DCAs had the novel idea of applying the SAR and CCA statutory fees to the accounts.. all this means is that there is an unsolicited payment.. these fees are NOT to be used to reduce the balance or mess around with the SB clock.

why, the cheeky so-and-sos!!! :shock: