Being Charged Twice for one Dental Treatment?

Carl_B
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3467 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I have recently joined an NHS dental practice and have had an initial examination at a cost of £18.50,  on the day a second appointment was made to have a filling done the following week

the next day I realised that I couldn't make that appointment due to other commitments and rang to re-arrange for around two weeks afterwards, at which point I was told I could but it would be classed as a second treatment and that I would be charged £50.50, I'm unsure if the receptionist understood fully what I was getting at and so I have asked them to clarify what they mean in writing.

The letter I intend to send tomorrow please feel free to point out any errors...

Document dental surgery staff member referred to me too: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/DentalServices/4717.aspx

Dear Sir/Madam,

I recently became a patient of your dental surgery and attended my first appointment on Tuesday 11th November after I was examined it was determined that I had some decay in one of my upper teeth and that I required a filling.

Directly following my first appointment another was made for the following week Tuesday 18th November to have this work completed, since then I have become aware of other commitments

I phoned the following day Wednesday 12th November and spoke to a member of staff to enquire whether it would be possible to move my appointment for treatment to sometime at the beginning of December. At this time I was told that this would be possible however it would be classed as a second course of treatment which I inferred to mean a payment of £50.50, not including my original payment of £18.50 (my first treatment)

I have since spoken to NHS England twice after my initial call and I was told that this was incorrect and I had two months from my first appointment to undergo treatment, after this I phoned your surgery back and was informed that NHS England were incorrect and that I should read “Urgent courses of treatment within two months” which was located on the NHS Business Services Authority Website,

having read this document I then contacted NHS England a further time and discussed this with them and they again reiterated that they were correct and did not understand why this document was being referred to as it was specifically written concerning emergency appointments which my treatment was not and that I should only be charged for my initial appointment at £18.50 and then the difference between this and my second appointment £50.50, a total of no more than £32.00

I have since also contacted NHS Dental Services using the contact details on the NHS Business Services Authority website who also reiterated the information given by NHS England and where concerned that I was being asked to pay a total of two NHS Banding’s for one treatment.

Please can you clarify this in writing as I am unsure if perhaps I was misunderstood by the member of staff concerned or if I have misunderstood something myself.

Many thanks and apologies for any inconvenience caused,

Edited by dx100uk
block of text spaced to paragraphs

Please do let us know what the Dentist has to say about this. It does sound as though they have either misunderstood or are being deliberately obtuse !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks CitizenB

I was gob smacked when the member of staff on the phone said that it would be classed as a separate treatment, it's utter clap trap, she said that they couldn't keep files open and that they had to send the claim form off to the NHS around the date of my appointment,

they "had too" of course as my letter says both NHS England and the NHS Dental Service agreed with me and were astounded that I was being asked to pay for two NHS banding's for one treatment within 2 months especially as there was a direct correlation between the first and second appointment,  after all the second appointment was only needed due to something found in the first!

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/nhs-dental-charges.aspx

I think there is potentially a misunderstanding here.

A fillign would be BAND 2 treatment which is £50.50

BAND 2 would INCLUDE your initial examination

Therefore you should be asked to pay the TOP UP to £50.50 from £18.50 so I make that £32.00

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I hope so however I was told at my first appointment exactly what you have said above however when phoning to change the appointment today the member of staff started spouting on about it being counted as a second treatment and not part of the first because of the amount of time between my initial examination and my filling being done :|

I've also just emailed NHS England anyway as they also stated on the day of my first examination that there would be a £10 fee to remove the one remaining metal appliance from an old brace from a few years ago (long story all my fault etc.) however I have asked NHS England to clarify whether this should be included in the NHS Band 1 under "adjusting dentures (false teeth) or orthodontic appliances, such as braces "

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/nhs-dental-band-charges.aspx?CategoryID=74&SubCategoryID=742

Well I received a reply from NHS England this morning confirming my suspicions about this £10 charge and I have been told that removing the old bracket is already included in the NHS band 1 charge of £18.50.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

So long as the call gets recorded, I can see no issue in phoning.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE