Bought weekly pass for friend

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3506 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all,

Just wanted some advice on my situation detailed below!

At the station this morning,

my friend was needed to get a 7 day ticket to Reading.

She was going to get a photocard this morning, but due to the long queues and late running,

I offered my photocard (which I now understand is not right!).

when she had to pay, her debit card was not working and so I paid for it and she just transferred the balance to my account.

On her way back from Reading, a ticket inspector said that she should not have used my photocard

and that she should pay with her own debit card.

She explained that her card wasnt working and to prove it wasnt a stolen ticket,

she called me to confirm the last 4 digits.

They then fined her £20 (which is fine, I totally understand why)

but then proceeded with a threat that she will have to pay a fine for stealing the ticket and then confiscated the ticket.

I will meet up with her tonight to discuss the details and will post more later. What I wanted to know is:

-What are the implications for me as I am admitting to buying it for her?

- Will she have to pay extra fines as they threatened her for stealing?

- Is there any way I can get the ticket back, considering the fine has already been paid?

Thanks very much for any help!

One of the transport companies little money earners, what difference does it make who paid for it, they got their money, this is just a rip off.

I think I would be asking for a copy of any regulations that say someone can't buy a ticket for another person.

That's exactly what I thought. It's not as if I ripped them off by buying my friend a ticket using a young persons rail card!

I do understand that it is their job to make sure passengers are compliant but it would be nice if they could make clear what the penalty is (fine & confiscation? or just confiscation?) or even make clear what the offense is. My friend said that it seemed like they fined her because I paid for her ticket as they were more focused on why she didnt pay for it herself! Whilst I do understand that they need to speak firmly, they didnt need to gang up on my friend and accuse her of stealing. I'm sure they can do so in a civil manner! The poor girl was crying on the phone!

Thanks for your reply Conniff, sometimes its nice to just have a bicker-fest!

Criminal offence under Byelaw 21 - Unauthorised buying or selling of tickets .

Penalty Fare is lucky.

There would be nothing to stop your friend from passing the season ticket back to you, and you using the ticket as well later in the day, hence it is an offence.

The season ticket clearly states valid only with Photocard and that photocard had your picture on it, not theirs!

The Penalty Fare is the end of the matter, once paid, for your friend.

For you, the season ticket will be seized for misuse and involvement in criminal activity (Byelaws). So the money is lost and no refund can be given.

Technically you can also be prosecuted for knowingly giving them your photocard/use of it under Byelaw 21(2), but I suspect the Penalty Fare and seized ticket will be the end of the matter.

There again, does it matter who is using it as long as it is only one person at a time then they have the fair. If it was slipped to someone else after being shown, then that would be a different matter,.

There again, does it matter who is using it as long as it is only one person at a time then they have the fair. If it was slipped to someone else after being shown, then that would be a different matter,.

I think the vast majority of people will conclude that it does, because if we suddenly decide it OK to choose which rules we obey and which we don't, the inevitable end result is anarchy.

Thanks for the responses guys. Does any one know what the implications might be on my part?

My friend told me that when she told the ticket inspector that I paid for her ticket, the inspector just told her not to pay me back, as if that is my penalty.