Ex husband hasleft me with £20k worth of joint debts

ssbjham
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3501 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is quite a long one so I will try and condense as much as possible.

Alcoholic Husband left a year ago

leaving behind myself and two teenage children.

New partner from the start.

He was on ESA when he left new partner working.

He hasn't engaged in any of the divorce proceedings so had to get him served.

It seems that he and his partner are working as relief pub managers so are moving around.

He lies to the benefit office and to the CSA.

I work three jobs but am on a very low income.

Suddenly the last few weeks I am now being chased solely for joint debts (Council Tax arrears, Tax credit overpayments and Water arrears )

as they have no idea where he is.

I accept that I am liable for half of the debt

how is it that he can walk away leaving these debts and not provide even for his own children ?

Is there anyway I can reduce the payments or have my half written off due to financial hardship?

At present I have more outgoings than income and am just waiting for the next debt to arrive

It isn't a question of each partner owing half of a debt - joint liability means that creditors can pursue one partner for the whole debt if the other doesn't pay, or can't be contacted.

You should contact each of the creditors and explain that you are in financial hardship. Be prepared to provide evidence such as payslips and bank statements. You should be able to negotiate an affordable payment plan if they won't write off.

I hope that I have posted this on the correct thread ? Apologies if I haven't.

This is quite a long one so I will try and condense as much as possible.

Alcoholic Husband left a year leaving behind myself and two teenage children. New partner from the start. He was on ESA when he left new partner working. He hasn't engaged in any of the divorce proceedings so had to get him served. It seems that he and his partner are working as relief pub managers so are moving around. He lies to the benefit office and to the CSA.

I work three jobs but am on a very low income. Suddenly the last few weeks I am now being chased solely for joint debts (Council Tax arrears, Tax credit overpayments and Water arrears ) as they have no idea where he is.

I accept that I am liable for half of the debt but how is it that he can walk away leaving these debts and not provide even for his own children ?

Is there anyway I can reduce the payments or have my half written off due to financial hardship? At present I have more outgoings than income and am just waiting for the next debt to arrive

Water arrears are no longer a "priority debt" the council tax and HMRC debts need to be addressed first, has the Tax Credit Debt been handed to HMRC debt management? Is this an overpayment?

The Council Tax : Have Liability Orders Been Made? If so how long ago?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

The Council Tax debt is being taken by 2 attachment of earnings from my wages and the Tax Credits overpayment is going to be taken by reducing my payments.

Either way it will be leaving me in absolute financial hardship.Am relying on family help to feed the children as it is.

The Council Tax debt is being taken by 2 attachment of earnings from my wages and the Tax Credits overpayment is going to be taken by reducing my payments.

Either way it will be leaving me in absolute financial hardship.Am relying on family help to feed the children as it is.

Have you at anytime provided an Income and Expenditure breakdown to the council or HMRC?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I'm not 100% sure as it was my husband who was supposed to have dealt with it ., but I do believe that an IE was done for the Council Tax but I don't remember one for the HMRC

Ok that I&E would be a "joint" assessment perhaps it would be a good idea to do a "personal" statement showing your current financial hardship.

Ok that I&E would be a "joint" assessment perhaps it would be a good idea to do a "personal" statement showing your current financial hardship.
ok thank you I will do that but do you think it might be too late as they are already taking the money out.

ok thank you I will do that but do you think it might be too late as they are already taking the money out.

I would "hope" due consideration would be given to your financial hardship and your sons situation, by either reducing the deductions or delaying collection completely, a game of wait and see unfortunately.

• dx100uk changed the title to Ex husband hasleft me with £20k worth of joint debts