can creditors insist on seeing your wage slips and bank statements

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im trying to help someone sort their debts out but

at the moment the creditors are refusing their offer and wont send a standing order form,

ive helped them provide an income and expenditure form and theyve sent it to them along with proposed payment.

They are now asking for proof of income and bank statements

- im just wondering if they are allowed to insist on this or should i just advise to start making the payments by cheque or standing order

(details of their bank account and standing order are on the payment slips - they could use that?)

and write to them again asking them to reconsider?

They dont like the idea of someone getting a look at their private finances like bank statements and wage slips even though everything is done truthfully.

They keep ringing at work so ive advised them to put in writing that that must stop and all communication kept in writing.

The creditors are capital one and everyday loans.

The person lives at home with parents and works but has found to be in debt due to silly financial control when younger,

they have no possessions but are buying a car on monthly terms.

They have a mobile phone contact which is no where near the end as of yet.

thanks

The only ones that should see full I&E's would be priority debts such as mortgage or secured loans on property. For credit cards, basic loans etc, they can see a very basic budget summary along with your proposal of payment. Nothing else. No bank statements, no payslips, no contacting employers etc.

If they dont like it, then tell them you are dropping them to £1 a month for the life of the debt as they arent doing anything to help you.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

thank you so much for your reply, so, you would advise that i advise they write back and again make the offer again but state they know they dont have any rights to see bank statements, etc - how would i word this please? thanks

Try this:

I am prepared to offer £x.xx per month for a period of Y months to settle this debt.

I am under no legal or moral obligation to provide wage slips or bank statements. Should you continue to demand these documents, the above offer will be withdrawn with immediate effect and substituted with a token offer of £1.00 per month.

Note: Any attempt to make contact by telephone either at home or at work will be construed as harassment and willbe reported to the relevant authorities. All further communications must be made in writing only.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

thank you so much for that

- what do you think are the chances of this being taken through the courts?

if that happens would they take the car away even though it is being paid on hp?

of course the person im helping has been silly but have held their hands up and are sorting it out now with my help

- i only became aware of this after they broke down and told me they were feeling very suicidal,

i told them i would help them out and not to beat themselves up,

theyve been stupid yes but they can sort it out...

.. the payments they are able to afford are £10 a month but could get more in about 3 months when their wages go up,

they would not still be in a position to pay the full amount

- £150 month for one and £290 for the other but maybe £50 a month...

..... not going to pay them off anytime soon but at least they will be trying....

.... or do you think i would be better advising them to talk to stepchange instead and let them help them out?

thanks

It would have been more impressive, had Capone asked to see this information before providing credit, which has ultimately led to this financial hiccup !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

yes, thats true - i do wish they would stop dishing out loans without really looking if the person can afford it....... but, its been done and rather than hide in the sand and ignoring it im helping to sort it out for them, luckily it was only the two loans but ive heard of others who have got loads and there is absolutely no chance of ever paying the money back

The Creditor has no legal right to demand the information asked for, if your friend has signed the I&E with a statement of truth it should be more than acceptable. Sadly, Capone are one of the worst to deal with.

If they become stubborn, speak with National Debtline - ask them to help your friend complete a Common Financial Statement (I&E) and then provide that to creditors.. it is my understanding they cannot refuse to accept this.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

thank you so much for that information....

. i will help them write to them offering one last time and if they still wont accept

i will get on to national debtline for them,

i do think firms like this tend to prey on the young and naive or the vulnerable who cannot sort things like this for themselves,

if this person hadntve told me i dread to think what would happen but thank god they did. thanks for all your help

Could just download the budget summary from ND. If its good enough for the courts, its more than good enough for capone.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

you have ofcourse sent these people a CCA request?

and looked for PPI & Penalty charges?

pers I don't ever recommend trying to neg with them.

stuff 'em..

TELL [dont ask] them they are only going to get £xxPCM for xx mts

as a goodwill gesture

and as a reciprocal GOGW they must freeze int & refrain from levying PENALTY charges.

if they wont

drop them to £1PCM for life.

as an example>

I am currently in financial difficulties and not able to meet my normal monthly repayments.

to show my goodwill, i am going to pay £5 for 6 mts.

i will update you in 6mts time or before, should my situation change.

could you please as a reciprocal goodwill guesture,

refrain from levying any penalty charges & freeze the interest on my account.?

Should you fail to assist me during a period of financial difficulty, contrary to all the guidelines and codes

issued by the relevent bodies and authorities that govern you and the way you conduct yourselves.

i shall have no alternative but to reduce my offer to £1PCM for the rest of the life of the account,

as your actions would do nothing to help me.

i thank you for your time.

dx

then pay by your internet banking site

and get reclaiming

TAKE CONTROL

or

if you have sent the above and they refuse

then write back........

i'm sorry, but you have failed to assist me during a period of financial difficulty, against all the guidelines and codes

issued by the relevent bodies and authorities that govern you and the way you conduct yourselves.

i repeat again, the contents of my letter dated dd/mm/yyyy, for want of clarification:

to show my goodwill, i am going to pay £XX for XX mts

could you please as a reciprocal goodwill guesture, refraining from levying any penalty charges & freeze the interest on my account.

i will update you in 6mts time or before, should my situation chance.

should you fail to help by refraining from levying unlawful PENALTY charges & freeze my interest,

i shall have no alternative but to reduce my offer to £1PCM for the rest of the life of the account,

as your actions are doing nothing to help me.

This is contrary to the rules you should operate under.

disgruntled account holder

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

well, it seems her finances are actually in a worse state than she said,

i went with her to her home to get these bills and to show her how to set up a standing order but

there she pulled all sorts of paperwork out and it really is quite a mess some of the loans and cards she has got..........

i really do hate how vulnerable people are left to get in this mess..........

on looking at her things she owes over £12,000 to 9 different cards and loans and one catalogue..........

im thinking now the best thing for her is to apply for a dmp with stepchange?

I really feel for her now because shes been getting lots of calls and post to do with these debts

and is just shoving them in her box and hoping they go away.......

time to bring money management into schools i think.....

No matter how bad the finances are, or how bad the debt is, it can be sorted. You just have to be strong willed and be prepared to play hardball with creditors.

Can you post details of all debts she had with as much info as possible? Create a new thread for each type of debt she has. For loans/credit cards, there are all sorts of things to check such as insurances/charges/correct paperwork etc.

The more info you can give, the easier and more likely it is that all these debts can be reduced. Just remember the golden rule. Just because a creditor/DCA says you owe an amount, does not mean you do.

thank you - im currently going through her things at the moment and will write it all down and then start a new thread, luckily she does work but doesnt have any family as such to help her out with these situations - i met her through work myself and have become something of a confidante to her......

might be best to go to square one

CCA the lot of 'em, esp if these are pre 2007

credit file might help too

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Going back to post 1#.

Creditors not providing SO forms, there are templates available online free to download, if you have the creditors bank details it is possible to take control and make payments at an affordable, (which can be useful if a creditor goes for litigation).

I agree with dx CCA all the creditors before doing anything about payments.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

yes smells

sounds like she's been in the milking parlour.

time to fight back

and they