Rented property

Guest Another Spartacus
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3533 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Another Spartacus

Can I ask for some guidance here please.

My son is finally moving out into a rented property, it's part of an extension which was once a care home. The flat is a studio type apartment with a kitchen area, living area, bedroom area and a separate bathroom. It looks like a terraced bungalow.

Anyway, I don't trust the letting agents one bit.....maybe I'm being a little picky!

We have had a look at the tenancy agreement which looks ok but they have also said that he must take out insurance to cover the property in case he damages it, is this correct.

I would have thought that it is the responsibility of the owners to pay for buildings cover and that if my son did do any damage to the property that it would be paid with the security deposit which is £500.

We are also concerned that the letting agents have passed my sons details to an insurance company who have sent him a quote for the property for 12 months, the tenancy agreement is only for 6 months.

We are also concerned that the property does not exist on the post code that they say relates to the property.

The property is still being renovated, the main part of the house is nowhere near being completed it's just the flats at the rear of the property that have just gone on the market.

So my questions are

Does he have to take out buildings cover

Is it legal for the estate agent to pass my sons details to an insurance company for a quote.

How is it possible for said company to quote on the property when it does not have a valid post code.

What happens if he does take out the insurance and the tenancy ends after 6 months, what happens to the rest of the 6 months insurance.

Does anyone know of a decent insurance company that we can get insurance from.

Thanks peeps x

Can I ask for some guidance here please.

My son is finally moving out into a rented property, it's part of an extension which was once a care home. The flat is a studio type apartment with a kitchen area, living area, bedroom area and a separate bathroom. It looks like a terraced bungalow.

Anyway, I don't trust the letting agents one bit.....maybe I'm being a little picky!

We have had a look at the tenancy agreement which looks ok but they have also said that he must take out insurance to cover the property in case he damages it, is this correct.

I would have thought that it is the responsibility of the owners to pay for buildings cover and that if my son did do any damage to the property that it would be paid with the security deposit which is £500.

We are also concerned that the letting agents have passed my sons details to an insurance company who have sent him a quote for the property for 12 months, the tenancy agreement is only for 6 months.

We are also concerned that the property does not exist on the post code that they say relates to the property.

The property is still being renovated, the main part of the house is nowhere near being completed it's just the flats at the rear of the property that have just gone on the market.

So my questions are

Does he have to take out buildings cover

Is it legal for the estate agent to pass my sons details to an insurance company for a quote.

How is it possible for said company to quote on the property when it does not have a valid post code.

What happens if he does take out the insurance and the tenancy ends after 6 months, what happens to the rest of the 6 months insurance.

Does anyone know of a decent insurance company that we can get insurance from.

Thanks peeps x

You are correct the "building Insurance" is for the structure and is responsibility of the landlord.

What is being referred to here I think is " Tenant Liability Cover" which is to cover such things as sanitary wares, glass and contents (if any provided by the LL).

All fixtures and fittings that make up the internal area of the property should be covered.

A good broker will be able to advise on this or comparison sites maybe of help.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

He just needs to take out Contents Insurance, which should include accidental damage cover. Even under a standard Contents policy, there should be a section which covers tenants liability. This relates to liability created in the lease, where a tenant accidentally damages the building, for which the landlords building insurance does not cover. It is not something that is claimed on much and should not concern you. But he should take out cover, just in case.

Endsleigh Insurance is worth a look at, because they will cover a smaller value of Contents than most Insurers and it can work out cheaper. They also are pretty experienced as a major student Insurers in dealing with people who rent out small flats/bedsits.

You could check with the local council authority that there is consent for this particular property to be converted into flats. They need to make sure that the building is suitable for this purpose, with all relevant safety measures taken. If there is no evidence of there being council consent for this change in use, then I think you need to let the agents know and look for somewhere else. The postcode will be for whatever the property was, before the works started.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Guest Another Spartacus

Thanks for you replies

I have just this minute taken the insurance with Ensleigh which was half the price quoted by Lets-cover who the estate agents used.

I still would like to know if the estate agents are qualified to be doing quotes for home insurance without the clients knowledge.

I've been private renting for a very long time. I have never once been told I had to have Buildings insurance as UB & Brig rightly say that's the House owners responsibility.

I do have contents insurance though which is a good thing to have, as I've found out over the years.

As it paid for a kitchen pipe bursting & ruining the wooden flooring, as well as having carpets replaced where my son ironed the carpets!!

However I do not see how an Estate Agent could be qualified to doing quotes, I've never heard of this before.

Could be they are in partnership with such an insurance company? Or they have agreed with said insurance company to give quotes on all rental properties? It's strange.

In any case you don't have to accept their word, get your own quotes & go with someone your happy with.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

Thanks for you replies

I have just this minute taken the insurance with Ensleigh which was half the price quoted by Lets-cover who the estate agents used.

I still would like to know if the estate agents are qualified to be doing quotes for home insurance without the clients knowledge.

It won't be a quote as such and would have to be a premium indication, subject to application details.

Estage Agents can provide information on Insurance. Is not an area where you have to hold qualifications. But it is regulated by the FCA, so the information they provide needs to meet all relevant rules.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Guest Another Spartacus

I phoned Lets-cover to ask how could an estate agency have the power to do home insurance quotes on behalf of their clients. They informed me that they would have had some training to do it, he was unable to tell me if the estate agent had asked permission from my son to do the quote on his behalf.

As a retired financial advisor I find it hard to believe that "they only need a little training", I had to prove through regular assessments with FSA that I was qualified to do so to give quotes.

Guest Another Spartacus
It won't be a quote as such and would have to be a premium indication, subject to application details.

Estage Agents can provide information on Insurance. Is not an area where you have to hold qualifications. But it is regulated by the FCA, so the information they provide needs to meet all relevant rules.

Thanks for replying but I can assure you that it is a quote which includes key features, price of cover, policy information, my sons details including the usual questions re , police offences etc.,

Edited by Another Spartacus
spelling

Thanks for replying but I can assure you that it is a quote which includes key features, price of cover, policy information, my sons details including the usual questions re , police offences etc.,

Sounds a bit dodgy, unless there is small print to qualify what they have sent. They can't really quote, unless your Son has gone through the details.