LL with no HMO licence - breach of tenancy agreement?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am renting a room in a house which has 5 separate occupants the LL doesn't have an HMO licence. Can this make the tenancy agreement void?

I've only been living here for a month and the house is not in good shape and would not meet the health and safety standards required. I moved in at the last minute because I was let down by another landlord and had no other choice and would like to get out of this contract and get my deposit and fees back.

No, it's a proper house. It used to be his family home. But it's a bit of a mess and not suitable for 5 adults. I actually didn't even know what an HMO was until the other new housemate brought it up. She mentioned it to the solicitor who drew up the contracts and he said it wasn't a problem and that they could get a licence if they wanted but he wants to move back into the house at some point so didn't want to get one. Which sounds like rubbish because he's been renting it out for over a year and we all signed 12 month contracts last month.

I paid a considerable deposit, which is in one of those safe deposit schemes, and fees for a reference check so I want to make sure I can get that money back before I start making any threats.