The Occupier does not have an account with you

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3540 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine who does not wish to be named receives his electricity from British Gas but is still getting bills from Eon addressed to the previous tenant and also to the occupier. this is distressing and needs to be closed. he has just recieved six letters in one week.

help

Send a letter telling them the previous tenant no longer lives there and has left no forwarding address.

Tell your friend to enclose a copy of his council tax bill or his electricity bill and send it by recorded delivery to Eon.

Edited by Conniff

Thanks for this much but they do not have his name. If he sends them these details they will then be able to address the letters to Mr. XYZ. and BG arent the problem, he pays BG but its Eon that are demanding monies from the previous occupier. The housing association have been no help either.

Your friends leccy bill to prove who he is, not the previous tenants.

Also readdress any bills from BG as 'Not known at this address' and pop them back in the postbox.

BG was a typo, will change that.

Not known at this address has been happening for ages. he had six letters last week. Eon are not listening. I said to him that letters addressed to the occupier are not for him to open, but he said "I am the occupier now" hmmm. I think that as long as they dont have his name they cannot demand payment from him. I have just advised him to check the M number helpline (hope this is electric tooo) and find out if he is paying the right people. although he pays bg and bg address him by name and all is fine. but eon arent helping.

My previous job was as community support warden and I tried to help him then but didnt get support from the company I was working for and couldnt spend out of hours supporting one client and not another. so now im not there any more I can help.

so if he contacts eon they will write to him by name and can then start demanding of him personally.

if he doesnt contact them then they will carry on anyway.

its a dilemma

i do thank you very much conniff for your assistance this far.

Not known at this address has been happening for ages. he had six letters last week. Eon are not listening. I said to him that letters addressed to the occupier are not for him to open, but he said "I am the occupier now" hmmm. I think that as long as they dont have his name they cannot demand payment from him. I have just advised him to check the M number helpline (hope this is electric tooo) and find out if he is paying the right people. although he pays bg and bg address him by name and all is fine. but eon arent helping.

My previous job was as community support warden and I tried to help him then but didnt get support from the company I was working for and couldnt spend out of hours supporting one client and not another. so now im not there any more I can help.

so if he contacts eon they will write to him by name and can then start demanding of him personally.

if he doesnt contact them then they will carry on anyway.

its a dilemma

i do thank you very much conniff for your assistance this far.

A formal Complaint to the CEO of Eon is the answer, we had a problem with them and within 3 days of contacting the CEO received a phone call problem solved in less than 10 minutes.

Deal with their customer (dis) service department and you will get no more than the company script read to you.

Edited by Conniff
correct a typo

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

This is someone elses debt, the previous occupier and not his, so they cannot demand payment from him. A tenant is not liable for a previous tenants bills be it utility or council tax.

If they should demand payment from your friend by name once he has proved to them that the bills are nothing to do with him, then they can be reported to the authorities for harassment.

Harassment is a criminal offence.

The CEO is tony.cocker@eon-uk.com email him.

Hi maggiec

To be honest, I'm not sure what's happening here. If I might speculate a little.

When there's a change of tenancy, the existing energy supplier continues to supply the property under what's known as a deemed contract. This makes sure there's no disruption to the supply when properties change hands.

Do you know if your friend or the previous occupier has changed supplier? If not, then it's likely we're still the supplier.

Did your friend/housing association let us or British Gas, if they're the supplier, know when they took over responsibility for the property.

If they did, the old account will have been closed down and a new account set up for your friend. As a result, your friend will only have been liable for the electricity used from the time they took over. If not, they'll continue to receive bills and follow up for the previous tenant.

If they let us know of any changes, we can make sure the account is set up correctly. Sight of a Tenancy Agreement will help. Or, as conniff says, a Council Tax bill.

I'm afraid, though, without contact from your friend, we'll continue to send correspondence to their address.

Really sorry if I'm totally wide of the mark here maggiec. As I say, I'm speculating rather a lot.

Malc