style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3588 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have paid our council tax on or around the 15th of every month for the last 4 years via online payments with no problem (No arrears). Unfortunately I forgot to pay June's instalment due to being on holiday abroad. On our return on the 30th I paid the instalment, I then paid July's instalment on the 16th. Fast forward to 1st week in August and we receive a Summons for our outstanding balance of £788.

My question is, do I go to court and explain to the magistrate that In our view we have made regular payments and that we do not owe any arrears?

I'm led to believe that the payments are due on the 1st of every month but as I have stated that for the past 4 years this hasn't been a problem?

Any comments would be appreciated

Council Tax is payable in full on 1 April each year. As a dispensation payments may be spread over a period of months and if paying by Direct Debit you may sometimes choose from a variety of dates in the month, if paying by cash then it is due on the 1st. Some Councils will give no leeway if you are late paying whereas others may be a little more lenient.

If you are late paying or miss a payment the Council should write to you giving you 7 days in which to bring things up to date. If it happens again and you do not comply then you lose the right to pay in instalments and all is due & payable pretty much immediately. If you then do not pay then the Council will apply for a Liability Order against you from the Magistrates Court and will add the costs of doing so to what you owe.

At Court the Magistates are only allowed to consider whether you are liable or not to pay. They cannot take any other points into consideration. If you have not had the "warning" letters from the Council then I suggest you contact your local Councillors and ask them to intervene - best initial contact is by phone

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Many thanks for your reply Ploddertom. No warning letters recieved, will follow your advise and contact local councillors.

Once again many thanks.

There is nothing stopping making contact tomorrow even it is Sunday. My view is that they elected to run for public office so should expect to be contacted at odd hours, so this could 7 days per week up until approx 9pm.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]