JSA if you resign

tgb32
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

3 weeks found myself in a position where I had to resign as a an alternative to being sacked. My money has now pretty much run out can anyone advise if I am entitled to JSA. It's been suggested to me that I cant/wont get it for 6 months.

If you are sanctioned, it starts from the day you apply for JSA.

Thanks for responding.

At the risk of sounding stupid I'm not sure what you mean by sanctioned, also what starts, my claim or the 6 month waiting period???

Edited by tgb32

Each such case is considered on its merits - if you make an application for JSA now the matter will be referred to a Decision Maker. You can give your side of the story, and your employer may be contacted as well. There isn't any good reason to delay making a claim that I can see.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks for responding.

At the risk of sounding stupid I'm not sure what you mean by sanctioned, also what starts, my claim or the 6 month waiting period???

A 'sanction' is just the clinical term the DWP use when they stop your benefits for whatever reason, such as failing to show sufficient evidence of jobsearch, missing an appointment, etc. Basically for anything they can catch you out on - including walking out of a job.

You almost certainly will be penalised for leaving a job and though you can state the reasons why, the DWP tend to see things like this very much in black and white; you walked out of a job by your own choice and made yourself unemployed and that's all they're interested in.

Having said that, I once walked out of an awful customer service job in 2000, applied for JSA and stated the reasons why I left the job, fully expecting to receive no money for a few months. To my surprise, I received my JSA with no penalty period - something which has puzzled me to this day. All I can think of was that the company I worked for was a known bad employer so the DWP were sympathetic to my leaving. I've walked out of other jobs since then and have always been promptly sanctioned for the ususal period :)

Still get your claim in as soon as possible though and best of luck.

Having said that, I once walked out of an awful customer service job in 2000, applied for JSA and stated the reasons why I left the job, fully expecting to receive no money for a few months. To my surprise, I received my JSA with no penalty period

Going back even further, I started work in a factory and was instructed to sweep the floor under some dripping steam pipes. I refused on the grounds that the water was likely to scold and the wet floor was a slip hazard. The response was "well, if you don't like the job, you know where the door is". Took that as a summary dismissal, exited the building there and then. Things have changed dramatically within the DWP since then, I would fully expect to have to fight to get a claim for JSA reinstated within the current rules.

There is a whole chapter on dismissal and resignation in the Decision Maker's Manual - Allowances can be made for things like constructive dismissal or where there is risk of harm from poor safety or bullying/harassment. If the O.P. needs any pointers, just ask and we will try to point you to the relevant section(s) of the DM Manual.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.