Statute barred debt - what constitutes contact?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Final question for today I think, what constitutes contact when considering a statute barred agreement? I've noted this in another post;

"If the lender or owner has been in regular contact with the customer during the limitation period, the firm may continue to attempt to recover the debt."

Surely if you write to a DCA that constitutes contact? If so how do you deal with them (other than ignoring them) or dispute anything? Or am I misunderstanding the requirement? Do you still have to admit the debt or pay something to restart the 6 year period again or is simply corresponding with them enough for them to say they are in contact?

Confused ! Can anyone help?

Bongo

"An attempt to recover the debt" is very different from trying to enforce in court. Even though a debt is statute barred, it doesn't prevent a debt collector trying to make your life miserable until you give in and pay up.

Statute barred means that the debt is unenforceable at law and you can use the Limitation Act as a defence

Also you seem to have misunderstood the wording. It is they – the creditor must have been keeping contact with you. If they have abandoned contact with you for a period of six years then they cannot recommence under any circumstances.

If they have been trying to enforce the debt during the six years then they can continue – although if it has been more than six years since you last missed a payment or made any acknowledgement of the debt then they will be prevented from enforcing the debt in law.

Under the new CONC regulations if you now inform them that the debt is statute barred, then they are prevented from even taking any enforcement action. This tends to put an end to one of the great anomalies of the Limitation rule

"An attempt to recover the debt" is very different from trying to enforce in court. Even though a debt is statute barred, it doesn't prevent a debt collector trying to make your life miserable until you give in and pay up.

Statute barred means that the debt is unenforceable at law and you can use the Limitation Act as a defence

Also you seem to have misunderstood the wording. It is they – the creditor must have been keeping contact with you. If they have abandoned contact with you for a period of six years then they cannot recommence under any circumstances.

If they have been trying to enforce the debt during the six years then they can continue – although if it has been more than six years since you last missed a payment or made any acknowledgement of the debt then they will be prevented from enforcing the debt in law.

Under the new CONC regulations if you now inform them that the debt is statute barred, then they are prevented from even taking any enforcement action. This tends to put an end to one of the great anomalies of the Limitation rule

Sorry perhaps I am confused, what I meant was if they continue to call you and write to you but you don't acknowledge or respond then does this still constitute contact? How would they prove they have made contact if you don't respond? It seems a little easy for them to continue writing (as in my other posts to an old address for this person) for this never to apply?

However if you don't reply or respond for six years can you then write to them to say "Statute Barred" ? I'm just confused because if you maintain contact with them refuting their claims it seems they can just go on doing it, even if you never acknowledge the debt or make a payment at all? is that right or am I missing the point?

Cheers

Bongo

However if you don't reply or respond for six years can you then write to them to say "Statute Barred" ? I'm just confused because if you maintain contact with them refuting their claims it seems they can just go on doing it, even if you never acknowledge the debt or make a payment at all? is that right or am I missing the point?

Cheers

Bongo

No, you haven't missed the point at all. In fact you seem to have understood the point rather well.

No, you haven't missed the point at all. In fact you seem to have understood the point rather well.

oooohhhh Okaaay I get you.. so the ONLY way to stop it is to ignore completely until they give up, however they cannot enforce after 6 years through any other means, ie court, is that correct?

correct

however, you need to be mindful as to how you are interpreting the start date of the SB period

the differing types of finance have differing concepts upon when the SB clock starts ticking.

in a nutshell, it starts from the date when the creditor first 'could' have gone legal.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

correct

however, you need to be mindful as to how you are interpreting the start date of the SB period

the differing types of finance have differing concepts upon when the SB clock starts ticking.

in a nutshell, it starts from the date when the creditor first 'could' have gone legal.

dx

Ah ok,

well looking at this file

they stopped making even token payments and cca'd the account almost ten years ago,

(never recd, admitted at one point it didn't exist)

default no longer on credit file etc by some years,

i'm assuming this is now well beyond a time where court action was possible?

relates to an MBNA account taken out in 98 it seems.

certainly looks that way

I was talking in general too mind.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Can I ask a quick question on this?

I received a default notice, at the time I was paying reduced payments.

I carried on with reduced payments up until the account was handed over to a DCA.

Th debt has fallen off my credit file now and my last payment was made in July 2008.

I have never admitted liability so am I correct in thinking It will be statute barred come the beginning of August?

as a default notice has already been issued

so 'someone' could already have gone 'legal' after issuing one

it will prob be 6yrs from last payment.

dx

and they

what if the DN is incorrect as in has default charges and other charges on. Does not have correct details eg customer name/ address on it and amount minus the charges.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

you can post what/if's till the cows come home

the fact is whomever did it, would have marked the file.

so they obv considered it correct.

dx

and they

I understand that Dx but they clearly ignored my letters. I gave up after several of them.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

better this is on your own thread tgm

have you one?

dx

and they

It keeps getting took down dx. I had asked a question in relation to my studio thread. Have even asked a question on my studio thread but that was months ago with still no answer

Can I ask a quick question on this?

I received a default notice, at the time I was paying reduced payments.

I carried on with reduced payments up until the account was handed over to a DCA.

Th debt has fallen off my credit file now and my last payment was made in July 2008.

I have never admitted liability so am I correct in thinking It will be statute barred come the beginning of August?

Send the SB letter by signed for post.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Blimey DM this is still going.

Yes 😳 but hopefully not for very much longer 😉

Brigadier, I will do once I'm confident those 6 years have passed (very soon now)!

OK.

A properly worded SB letter is not an admission of liability.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

good on you DM