Stranded due to Train Breakdowns?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi!

I was on an late-night EMU leaving New St. at 2247, which normally arrives in time for me to catch the last 40 bus to Birchtree Hollow within 1/4 mile of where I live.

However last night the train came to an abrupt halt in the middle of nowhere due to a total power failure (not wires down - I heard the driver say the pantograph and wires were fine!)

and it was almost 1 in the morning before another unit came to propel us - it was like going home on the Ghost Train - no lights, motors, doors or anything!

It is three-and-a-half miles from the station to where I live, much too far to walk, and happily, after some grumbling at the Station Master I was given a taxi fare!

(They did lay on a connecting bus but the bus-driver said he wasn't allowed to stop anywhere but at the stations, and the first one was five miles from my home!)

My question is, Should you be stranded late at night with no onward transport to within walking distance of your home or other destination due to breakdown of yours (or even another!) train, signalling/points faults, wires down, etc., etc., can a train company absolve themselves of all responsibility just because your destination is a long way from the destination station of the delayed service?

How do you claim compensation and how much can you reasonably claim if you ***are*** unlucky enough to be stuck with a very long walk late at night - I wasn't last night but this ***has*** happened once before last night's incident and the T.C. offered no help on that occasion!

Edited by ims21

Hi Chris, please remove your name.

Complain to the train operator. I'm guessing Virgin or London Midlands because they are the only ones who use the OHL on the WCML.

The TOC will have a compensation scheme for this

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Pop into new st and ask for the claim form for the company you use. They have them in the ticket office. You will need your ticket. Normally takes a couple if weeks, well it dies with xcountry. I think London midland took a bit longer but they are fairly appalling at reliability.

I assume you mean Brum.

I suspect the only contract you have is for the train company to get you to the destination on that ticket and nothing else.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Absolutely claim.

However your question -is the TOC responsible for ongoing transport beyond the railway?

Is no, they are not legally, although all Tocs will have policies which are far more generous than that IMHO.

3.5 miles is a bit of a slog but not beyond most people to walk, even if it takes up to an hour.

In my day some years back that sort of generosity was reserved for lone women, the 'vulnerable' etc which 'able bodied' men left high & dry, but I suspect they are far more generous nowadays.