Government proposes to ban the use of CCTV and ANPR in Civil Parking Enforcement !!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The official joint press release by the Dft and DCLG can be read below. It was update today.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-bans-use-of-cctv-spy-cars-for-on-street-parking

The debate can be seen live on the computer. It should be around 3.30pm

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=15535

It always seemed to me that introducing parking meters in streets that were mainly shops was bad news for shops since motorists would either go to another area to avoid

getting clumped for getting back to their car two minutes late or not being able to park as all the meters were taken so they would go elsewhere too.[Councils appear to deliberately allocate less meters than required which I have always taken to be a great revenue raiser for themselves but to the detriment of the shopkeeepers.] The huge amount of revenue taken off the motorist means that there will be less money to be spent in the shops.

And so it follows that if the Council is too harsh in administering the parking in a shopping mall or street that the combination of driving motorists away and taking disproportionate amounts of parking charges out of that economy inevitably leads to shops closing. I am pleased that the Government are taking those shortsighted Councils

to task though I am unsure how the idea that they will now have to start to treat the shops positively translates into reality.

Meanwhile, the PPC parasites infest the out of town Malls, and send out invoices like confetti, to taxi drivers and delivery drivers along with overstayers.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

But this does not mean the end of the CCTV car I have just spoken to the Council here they will still be used for bus stop schools and red routes.

The interesting thing about them using the car they need to "log" the vehicle correctly i.e. all the normal note + the position of the tyre valve and tax disc number (this changes in October) so don't be fooled that will magically disappear they wont, it means the lazy sods will have to get out of the car to do the job.

Failure to do so will render the issued PCN voidable/appealable in the normal way, so you will now see the pocket books used by the CEO's being filled out correctly. (maybe) so if you get one like from a CCTV car then appeal it and ask for the pocket book of the CEO.

If you come back to find a PCN on your screen always check the valve position.

All this means is they will find ways to "cook" the books. You may also see husky infractions, as in they will shave time off the ticket and issue early, by up to a minute.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

It is doubtful that they will continue to use the spy cars for long as they will become uneconomic with so little to work on especially in the school holidays.

Yhey are of limited use in bus lanes as many areas only apply them at peak times, so only policed for 4 hours a day. There is one always parked on the approach to Liverpool John Lannon Airport, where the bus lanes are suspended until end of Jul;y or so, so it is sitting doing nothing.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

In honesty, I'm against this change but I think that's purely because my experience - locally - seems different from most. I live near a high street area with plenty of business - and plenty of free, safe parking.

But still people park on double yellow lines,double park in the main road and dump their 4x4s in undersized "motorcycle only" boxes which restrict traffic flow and the view from junctions when you're trying to get onto a main road. I've contacted the council and they've said they can only deal with it by using staff to spot and ticket offenders, or relying on the police to do it (depends on whether it's an unpaid pay-and-display or a legal issue e.g. double yellows)

I'm not sure if the new amendment will affect Scotland anyway but, personally, I'd love a camera posted right above one particular junction near me and every one of the b*ggers who parks lazily getting ticketed in the first week of operation. They'd make the money back on the camera in a month.

On the opposite side of the street is free parking for 100 vehicles. It's never more than 20% full because people are too lazy to walk an extra 50 yards.

I actaully live on the Devon coast and our 'High Street' (for want of a better description) has been a place where a parking place can easily be found even if it means that you may have to drive around a 2nd time. 7 months ago the council introduced parking wardens. Business has literally plummented and more so, to local coffee shops and restaurants.

So...have parking wardens made parking easier?

YES!!! There are now loads of parking spaces available and the reason is because local residents are now abandoning the local high streeet and instead.....travelling to Exeter to shop.

One issue which should have been addressed more thoroughly is that of costs at appeal hearings. At the moment these appear to be very rarely, if ever, awarded, so that successful appellants are left out of pocket even though they did nothing wrong. Councils, on the other hand rarely if ever attend. Clearly this means that Councils have no incentive to allow an informal appeal, even if it is clear they will lose. Some reform to this is plainly required to bring the procedure into line with any other civil procedure whereby a no show party will pay costs. Yes, a frivolous appeal by a motorist should also involve some penalty of course, but the present system (however well-intentioned it may have been) does no justice to successful appellants.

I was astonished to learn that councils join the BPA, giving this rogue organisation of parasites an illusion of propriety which it in no way deserves.