Lowell/BW, got CCJ - vodafone 'debt ' never got papers - help!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3631 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a work collegue who has recieved a county court judgment from Lowell Portfolio

and the solicitors acting for them are BW legal.

It relating to an old mobile phone account which is a least 3 years ago.

They had received many letter from Lowell but did nothing about it,

the dispute the claim and the amount.

Unfortunately they had not recieved any court papers until a letter arrived from BW with the judgment.

the orginal claim was issued 28th Jan 2014.

I am not sure what they can do now.

I think its late for it to be set aside or can they ask for a time out ?

I would say that if he has not received the original court papers and was not able to enter a defence, then he should be able to get the judgement set aside. I will ask someone how you need to go about doing this.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes he can still get a setaside - however he would have to show the judge that he has a good chance of success at trial.

What is his defence?

He was in dispute with the mobile phone company vodafone. he only owed them £21,

Hamptons in Dec 2013 were asking for £178 and were contacted and informed that the debt was in dispute.

Another letter Russel Aitken asking for 173 in February 2013,

Advantis £173 on 17th April 2012 from them,

The court judgment was for £207 plus costs.

He never recieved the orginal court documents.

The is no assignment letter or credit agreement.

As far as he is concerned the amount is in dispute

Hi griffiths5,

Thanks for making me aware of your colleague's concerns.

If he'd like me to take a closer look at this, ask him to email me with his details via the Contact us form here and quote the code WRT135 - CAG Forum in the subject line.

Once sent, he'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post back with this and I’ll check I've received it.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media Comms

Vodafone UK

Any update on this?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi

Do not wait for Vodafone to come back to you. This should not be handled by them as it was not VF that took court action. The set aside should be done as a matter of importance.

Once that is done, Lee could deal with it.

When a debt is placed for collection with an outside agency (VF don't do collections) they add an admin charge which is not a true reflection of the actual costs. Why a £21 'debt' turned into £178 is to be challenged.

For this small amount, VF should have just written it off as it would have been too much trouble for them to bother with but in VF's world, nothing is that simple. The computer says "NO" with very little human input.

In my opinion your grounds are:

Did not receive any papers

No opportunity to defend

Unlawful charges added.

The bigger question is, "Why, if they have been writing to you at your address, did you not receive any court paperwork?"

It has been known in the past that some DCA's have obtained a CCJ by sending court papers to a previous address. I'm not saying this DCA did that.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi griffiths5,

I tried to call your friend earlier this week.

As I wasn't able to reach them, I replied to their email asking when they'd be free again.

Although I'm yet to receive a reply, I'll try again today.

In regard to the CCJ, I'd recommend that your friend follows the advice already posted, so that this can be handled correctly.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media Comms

Vodafone UK

• 2 weeks later...

They have filled out a set aside and sent to court but they want £155 and have returned the form, The court have advised to fill out an EX160, They are on a low income but not sure if they would be entitled to a reduced fee. They have asked for the £155 to be able to proceed with the set aside. Any advice would be appreciated

Complete the EX160 and submit it with the N244 application.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/72103/response/176615/attach/2/ex160a.pdf

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

If possible at all I would include the payment...they will either cash it or return it if the EX is successful..rather than delay the application.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread