An American in Essex - NCP car park woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Greetings... I'm new to these parts having just come over from Austin, Texas to live and work in UK for the foreseeable future. I seem to be making poor decisions regarding these silly parking tickets so I thought I'd stop the bleeding and consult y'all. I've waded through the stickys and quite a few of the posts and still a bit unsure of my status/next steps, so I thought I'd engage you good folks for some friendly advice.

Basically, on 19.05, I was heading into London for work and staying over night. I parked and paid/displayed in a NCP parking lot (Mark's Tey Station) for 2 days, only to find the trains to London were shut down indefinitely. I decided to drive past the problem (engineering works in Colchester) and catch the train. Shenfield Station was the first point trains were working so I drove to Shenfield. Upon arriving in Shenfield Station park, which is run by NCP as well, I noticed much open parking along the fencing. However, there were signs on the chain link fencing posted that said "reserved parking". I avoided that area, and found parking in the middle portion thinking all was good. I paid and displayed for 2 days of tickets and caught my train. When I got back on the 20th, I was stunned (and SUPER angry) to find 2 stickers on my car (see attached). £75 / day for each day for a total of 2 days offering a reduction to £50 if paid within 14 days. Turns out, the middle sections were "reserved" parking as well. I looked around for signs... and saw none. I looked down, and sure enough, I saw painted on the pavement "reserved parking".

As soon as I got home, I went to the NCP site to look up my fines. There were pictures showing

1) my NCP Shenfield 2 day parking payment properly displayed on my dash

2) a pic of my car showing the "reserved parking" on the pavement.

I immediately chose to appeal both tickets separately and pled ignorance. In the appeal, I explained my situation, that I had paid properly in Shenfield AND in Marks Tey. Basically I played the dumb yank card but did point out, that the "reserved parking" signage was NOT obvious on the ground (when you are heads up driving/looking in a parking lot (car park) and begged lenience/forgiveness. Within a couple minutes, in my infinite intelligence, I decided to do what I should have done first, and google/research it. I found this site claiming if it's NOT from the council, you aren't legally bound to pay it. It's now been over 14 days and I haven't heard a peep. My guess is to ignore it as many other claim. However, I don't need any legal problems as I am over on a work visa and trying to establish good credit. I should have come here first!

Any thoughts? Many thanks for helping out a sometimes not so bright American trying to learn the ropes over here.

Cheers

Kirk

Not sure how to post pic to tix without having 10 posts: Will try this:

h t t p ://s1175.photobucket.com/user/captainkwe/media/NCP_Shenfield_redacted_zps92df3de1.jpg.html

Hi and welcome to CAG.

Was the car yours or was it a rental?

If yours, the registration number plate should be with the DVLA.

do the tickets say PARKING charge notice or PENALTY charge notice

As the ticket was on the car, if you replied now, you would be identified as the driver. We don't want that.

Wait for the Notice to Keeper (NTO) to drop through your mail slot (or letterbox in English). This should arrive between 29 and 56 days after the ticket was issued.

This is then your opportunity to appeal. You paid for parking anyway, you just fell foul of the stupid rules.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi captainkwe, welcome to CAG.

You were issued 2 Notice To Driver (NTD)

You should have waited for Notice To Keeper (NTK) which has to arrive with you between 29 to 56 days.

In your "appeal" you have IDed. yourself as the "driver".

This will get "rejected" because that is the way of the Parking co.

They then have to issue a POPLA code which will give you a "second appeal chance"

Hi captainkwe, welcome to CAG.

You were issued 2 Notice To Driver (NTD)

You should have waited for Notice To Keeper (NTK) which has to arrive with you between 29 to 56 days.

In your "appeal" you have IDed. yourself as the "driver".

This will get "rejected" because that is the way of the Parking co.

They then have to issue a POPLA code which will give you a "second appeal chance"

Oops missed the bit about appeal. Shouldn't skim read :redface:

By the way, while you are here. Have you seen a thread of mine?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?425931-Any-builders-out-there

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

NCP contracted to the railway co or are they looking after a car park that is separate from the station. Important to know as the rules are different but the parking co's like to pretend they are the same so they get the money from the punter.