British gas cut gas supply

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3648 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am a landlord of the property which my managing agency had rented out to a group of friends.

They had been in the property for a year and as I'm a doctor and do not live locally,

I never got the chance to pay regular visits to check if everything is in order.

A year later now I have found out that my property is empty as British Gas Revenue Protection Department has cut off the gas supply

as the meter was found tempered with on two occasions.

The managing agency got rid of the tenants and have returned me the keys of my property

as British Gas has refused to put the supply back on or put a new meter in until the balance is paid.

The balance £2000+ . RP Department made it clear that they don't care who was liable as they need their money regardless of who's pocket it comes from.

I want a bit of advice as to what are my options now as I will not be paying them for something I am not responsible for.

Their job was to inform me on first occasion where they found out that the meter was tempered with so I could have served the tenants a notice.

I have read a few cases here and they say companies hold Landlord responsible for all the costs.

Is there any way round it?

Thanks in advance

complain!

Their contract was with the then occupier of the premises as per the Utilities Act 2000 schedule 6. The landlord is only responsible for utility supplies where they have contracted with the supplier or in cases where the property is vacant, when he began to take supply.

Did the lease agreement state tenants were responsible for utility costs?

Hi everyone,

I am a landlord of the property which my managing agency had rented out to a group of friends. They had been in the property for a year and as I'm a doctor and do not live locally, I never got the chance to pay regular visits to check if everything is in order. A year later now I have found out that my property is empty as British Gas Revenue Protection Department has cut off the gas supply as the meter was found tempered with on two occasions. The managing agency got rid of the tenants and have returned me the keys of my property as British Gas has refused to put the supply back on or put a new meter in until the balance is paid. The balance £2000+ . RP Department made it clear that they don't care who was liable as they need their money regardless of who's pocket it comes from.

I want a bit of advice as to what are my options now as I will not be paying them for something I am not responsible for. Their job was to inform me on first occasion where they found out that the meter was tempered with so I could have served the tenants a notice. I have read a few cases here and they say companies hold Landlord responsible for all the costs. Is there any way round it? Thanks in advance

The tenancy agreement clearly states that! But the RP officer is clearly not budging on it. He says he requires the full payment which ridiculous. I am thinking I will have to involve my solicitors if they do not put the supply back on

hello,

a similar thing happened with me a few years ago, though it was an electricity meter.

when tenant vacated, i noticed wires on the prepayment meter and realised that it had been tampered with, especially as it was showing a negative balance of a few hundred pounds.

i contacted the electric company, they sent 2 engineers out who then disconnected the meter and then totally refused to put a new meter in its place.

i was then told that they would not fit a new meter and that the property would be without electric until such a time i had paid the debt plus costs.

i spent about 2 hours on the phone to the company who then agreed with me in the fact that I was in no way responsible for the debt and that they would send someone out to fit a new meter.

hope my experience has helped you and i hope that you do not have to get a solicitor involved. If you have patience to navigate through their call center, each time escalating your complaint, (in addition to the advice above from nottslad) then hopefully you will get your gas supply back on soon

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

don't bother with the call centres, go straight to the top and write to their CEO.

You need to ask them what statute they rely on in order to hold you liable for another person's debt and how this over rules the Utilities Act and regulation. Whilst it may be reasonable for them to request a security deposit or other indemnity, they cannot charge you for someone else's usage

Thanks for all the help. I have now told the RP officer I am not paying this amount and want to speak to someone higher up who is making the decision regarding this meter. Hopefully people higher up will listen more than these officers.