chased for Dutch dept

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3645 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi first off great site lot's of great info.

My problem is I lived in the Netherlands for a number of years and was going to say there for good, till I lost my job and the cost of living has sky rocketed there so was put in a corner. So decided to move me and my family back to scotland. The problem is the Dutch mortgage I have we have stopped paying so the house will be repossessed soon and sold at a loss so will owe about 50 to 60 thousands euros im guessing. Can the dutch chase me in the UK for that dept. I can not afford to pay it. would a collection agency buy a dutch dept or could it be sent through the courts. What options do i have

Thanks for any advice

Within the EU, there is cross border debt enforcement available through the courts, so in theory they could take you to court in Scotland.

Think you will have to get advice when the debt amount is worked out. If you have no assets, perhaps bankruptcy will be an option you would have to consider. With property debts, they take longer before they become statute barred by limitations laws. In England property debts can be enforced for 12 years in the courts. So with a debt for the sum you are talking about, you would have to seriously consider whether you would want this hanging around for the rest of your life. If you have no assets and bankruptcy would not affect you too much, then it is worth looking at.

You should look to get some debt advice in Holland, as I am not aware of the all the laws there that might help you and you may be able to go bankrupt there cheaper than the UK or there may be other options. It is also worth contacting UK debt advisors, such as Stepchange, who are the main debt charity.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread