How can part of a debt be statute barred?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The answer to this may be simple - but I doubt it, since the matter does not seem to have been cleared up anywhere else.

If a debt is being paid, even though that debt may date from (for arguments sake) 9 years ago, the debt is not statute barred if it came to enforcement. On that basis, should it not be legally possible to challenge the validity of that debt, where it included unlawful charges?

If that is accepted, is there a time limit on applying for a CCJ to be set aside?

That should get the law books twitching on this sunny Good Friday afternoon.

Alan, Derby, UK.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

Advice given is purely my opinion, and is not based on any legal training.

A further development of this line of thinking (and a crafty way of bumping this back to the top without just bumping it!):

I can understand that with an open bank account, the transactions more than six years old may be statute barred.

However, a loan is a fixed contract - therefore surely the whole loan history is either within statute, or totally statute barred if the conditions are met.

Alan, Derby, UK.

Sorry, but I cannot deal with your case by PM - please ask questions in your own thread. If you do not get a reply within 48 hours send a PM, with a link to the relevant thread, to any Site Team Member.

DO NOT SEND QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CLAIM TO ADMIN, or our WEBMASTER - YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A REPLY.

• 2 weeks later...

But taking that argument to it's logical conclusion, if a debt was built up over a few years - how can the earlier transactions be reclaimable, but not challengable?

For instance, if I took out a loan in 1998 - that loan is still in statute if I am making payments. How can it then be statute barred if I want to challenge the validity of that loan?

My point is that if a transaction in 1998 is enforceable for one party - it has to be challengable for the other.

Alan, Derby, UK.

My point is that if a transaction in 1998 is enforceable for one party - it has to be challengable for the other.
I agree

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

• 1 month later...

Hopefully im ok asking this question in this thread??!! just searching around as i persue my other possible claims and i came accross this thread..

I have an old debt with first direct, for about 3 k, this was made up from a loan and an overdraft on my account which i couldnt pay. A large percentage was charges added on when i stopped paying, probably half of it. I offered to pay £1 a week, to which they told me to get lost and so i told them to take me to court. That was about 3 years ago. I didnt hear from them again until recently as Ive since moved and obviously now Mr. Debt collector is sending me lovely letters. I havent even acknowledged these :-| i just keep thinking if they want to go to court then so be it...but seeing this thread and reading into it i may well have another way of challenging them? Am i right in thinking so? At least if nothing else it would halve the debt. Meant to add, the debt (loan) itself began in 1998...hence the reason for enquiring before the 6 year time limit..

12th May DPA sent to Natwest

17th May pre-lim sent £1241

26th May Full refund offered

27th May Accepted!!

on with next....

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 2019-03-08.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Alan, Derby, UK.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks