Car Insurance- Outstanding (False) Claim

boggler
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help. Last August, I was rung by The AA my insurance company and informed that a 3rd party had alleged that I had driven into their parked car in our cul-de-sac and then driven off having caused damage to their car. The 3rd party also had an independent witness to the incident. After they mentioned the car in question, I knew the house that had made the claim and also realised that the 3rd party and the independent witness were at the same address!

I knew that this incident had not occurred and that essentially they were trying to find a cheap way to replace their battered old car (which incidentally has not been replaced and is still full of dents and scratches all over it) I told the insurance company that no such incident had taken place. They sent out an independent investigator who looked at my car and verbally agreed he could see no damage. I then heard nothing more until I received my astronomical renewal quote.

I then contacted The AA and they said it was because the claim was still outstanding on my file. They woman I spoke to assured me that they would do their best to get it closed asap.

My question is essentially: What can I do?

The insurance is due for renewal at the end of this month and unless this is resolved by then, I guess I could be held to ransom to renew at this eyewatering figure?

It all seems very unfair and as I hear nothing more since last August, I thought the matter had been resolved and the AA had realised that this was a [problem].

Any advice would be most welcome

Thanks

If there was no third party personal injury and the third party has not been in contact about the claim in months, I cannot see a reason why the claim cannot be closed off, so you are not penalised. Some Insurers can keep claims open for up to 3 years in this situation, before they close them off. It may be that your Insurers want to issue one last letter to the third party, saying that if they don't hear from them with x number of days they will close the claim as not being pursued any further.

If not, there is nothing to stop you shopping around with this open claim and when it is finally closed down as a non claim, you should get a letter, which you can pass to your new Insurers so they can adjust the no claims discount. But speak to any new Insurers to advise them of the situation with the open claim and make sure AA to inform you when they close the claim off, as well as confirm the correct no claims discount that should now apply.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Send an SAR because you need to get the written report from the inspector.

If you get this then it should be straightforward. Come back hre if it isn't.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice above. The insurance company (Sun Alliance it turns out AA are just the broker) have confirmed that the independent investigator concluded that there was no damage on my car and the scratches on their car could not have been caused by me. He also has digital photos to prove this. However, they have been in touch with the 3rd party's insurer again and apparently the claimant has sent in a USB stick with other evidence purporting to show their damage was caused by me. However, Directline have not looked at the USB stick yet! From SA's point of view unless they have CCTV evidence it would never override that of an independent investigator.

However, until they look at the USB stick my file unfortunately has to remain open and I have to renew at the increased rate. Any further advice would be most welcome as they renewal date is 28th May!

You have 2 choices

1) stay insured with current company. Renew the policy and they will adjust the premium from the renewal if the claim is closed as non fault ( or invalid). The Insurers might not delete the claim, so important to know what they do with the record, as you would need to disclose to future insurers.

2) Shop around and go to another insurers with the claim still open. Wait to the current company close the claim off and when you get the proof of the claim being closed off, with another letter showing revised no claim discount, send it off to the new insurers. New insurers then update your policy and adjust the premium as required.

You will have to be patient until your current insurers have decided whether or not there is any proof from the third party that your vehicle was involved in an accident. This could go on for months.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 1 month later...