Discussion. Mental illness when does help become hindrance to recovery?

Shendor
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3690 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I suffer from MH issues and believe me I do not give easily but sadly, there are days when it controls me, adn those days arrive with NO warning, so I am not sure how working would fit in with those days.

There is NO one fix for MH issues, (I wish there was) and I am thankful for the financial help and support I get (I had no option other than to take the 'handouts') call them what you will.

It all depends what causes the problems, and it is not right nor fare to say we can all get better because I did (well done you by the way ) but some people are not able to get their life back into shape over night, some as already said, never it all, depends on the clinical diagnosis and what the root cause is.

I have come to understand over the months/years since I developed MH issues how fragile the mind is - what once I could think, do and say with my eyes shut has become a massive obstacle, it is as if a part of me has closed down and I live in this little world that is getting smaller and smaller (believe me if I had fully given into it, I would not be here at this present time) many are the times I have thought about it - it is when you stop thinking about it, and just do it that you know your time has come (and that is the scary part) because as already said some days it controls me...

No one should feel ashamed of taking the help if they are truly ill - I would be a liability as part of my illness is lack of concentration I do not even drive any more.

I am not a label, I am just ill and like all illnesses I did not ask for it to come visit me it just did.

• Haha 1

Well I see I was wrong in thinking/trusting you wanted a serious discussion about MH issues.

Your replies are one of the reasons why MH suffers tend not to open up (for the fear of ridicule)

I agree this thread should be locked as the original poster has no intention of treating the matter with the sensitivity/understanding it deserves.

When I was first diagnosed with MH problems I did not see/class it as a disability.

I truly believed that a disability was an injury or illness such as cancer.

It was my CPN who told me that MH issues are classed as a disability, and just because the person with a MH problem looks healthy they still have a disability which effects their daily life.

We are all different and I know people think 'pull your socks up' get over it get on with life - but they would never say to a person suffering from Cancer, 'well be grateful for the good days' so why treat MH sufferers with any less understanding.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3690 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks