Council Taxbenefit - Pensioner's Worry

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3698 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a widow on a small state/serps pension with some pensions savings credit. I was getting £1.80 in pensions guarantee credit which gave me full council tax benefit. Due to the state pension increase I no longer qualify for the guarantee credit. Basically, I now have to pay £70 a month towards my council tax where before it was all paid. The council sent me a revised bill and set out the money due each month. Job done. The following month they asked me to confirm in writing I had no private pensions and wanted to see two month's bank statements. I took them to the coucil office. Job done. Now, after scrutinising my bank statements they have asked me to explain what two large payments were for January and February into my bank account. Basically they were two sums of money my son gave me to pay for my car to be repaired and some debts. (I still have a mortgage). He is kindly putting money into my bank to help me out a bit. He has his own place, pays his own council tax and has just got married but he is able to help me out as he does not want me to sell my house. I feel the council think my son is living at home and paying rent etc. (which he is not - he pays his own council tax where he lives) and feel a little victimised by them. Further is my son allowed to continue paying me money when he wants (this is not guaranteed like a pension or anything and he may not be able to continue)? The DWP obviously told them of my different financial circumstances in April when the pensions changed, the council issued me with a revised payment schedule now all this - why?

They are allowed to make a negative inference and so they do. They are deciding that the money is income and therefore they have to pay out less wheras repayment of a debt only increases you capital by a smidgeon and they still have to cough up.

When you have told them this tell them that you wish to appeal against their revision on the CTB and want the figures which they used to calculate your entitlement.