Cafcass and grandparents rights

staci
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3682 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a rhetorical question:

What would in fact happen if staci and her partner moved away? Surely if they move a considerable distance away then the Courts would not inflict, for example, a four hour round trip every weekend on a two year old child so he could spend two hours with his grandparent?

Well I am in that exact position. Following my successful application involving my eldest son, I did move away, some 180 miles away to be exact. BUT despite the animosity between myself, the child's mother and the maternal family, I actually made the 6 hour round trip each month so that my son had contact with his mother as I considered that is what HE wanted, over what I wanted.

Having said that, although the court will no doubt order some form of contact (which will simply state that the resident parent will make the child AVAILABLE for contact), it cannot (as far as i'm aware) order that you actually deliver the child for contact. It would be up to the applicant to collect and return the child. HOWEVER if supervised contact is ordered, it would be then open to argue where the contact should take place which could, by de-fault compel the resident parent to deliver the child to the contact venue.

I suppose if the OP is that way inclined, they could agree to the whole application (which CAFCASS may not agree to in court due to the child's age) and then move away forcing the applicant to do all the travelling (as the order would simply state the child will be "made available" for contact) of which the OP is saying that the applicant won't travel. BUT is that acting in the child's best interest? There is the chance that further down the line, this could back and haunt the Father.

None of us have done any form of written statement as we have not been told to. Shall i request we do this on tuesday

Only if it is a directions hearing on Tuesday, otherwise it's too late now. This is the drawback of not seeking advice earlier. A solicitor would of prepared one for you or I could of certainly told you how to do it. Did the applicant make a statement to support the application?

Would they really inprision us over this though? I mean our son would be taken away from us while we serve our time?

We may have to emigrate!

Think you are getting a bit over the top now TBH. There would be a long legal road to negotiate before you would get to that stage!

From what staci has said, the relationship between her partner and his mother broke down more than 13 years ago and she has caused an enormous amount of upset and trouble to them both, as well as staci's extended family. Sometimes, as we all know, people start demanding contact because they know it will cause distress rather than because they genuinely want contact.

(I know a situation where a father fought for custody while quite openly saying to his friends that he didn't want custody because it wouldn't suit his lifestyle at all, but it would cause absolute misery for his ex-wife to go through the Courts to fight him.)

You obviously did the right thing because it was what your son wanted and you are a good parent, but this little boy is just two and has never met her.

No just the form for application to the court

There must be reasons for the application to be made in the first place. At the first hearing (which would be directions) the court would normally ask for statements from both parties at the same time of asking for the CAFCASS report if the application is being contested.

The reasons for her is that she wants to establish a relationship and she has the legal right to as his nan.

We were asked verbally our reasons and her solicitor spoke for her and then they granted her permission to apply. We then have had the section 7 done and are back in on tuesday.

From what staci has said, the relationship between her partner and his mother broke down more than 13 years ago and she has caused an enormous amount of upset and trouble to them both, as well as staci's extended family. Sometimes, as we all know, people start demanding contact because they know it will cause distress rather than because they genuinely want contact.

(I know a situation where a father fought for custody while quite openly saying to his friends that he didn't want custody because it wouldn't suit his lifestyle at all, but it would cause absolute misery for his ex-wife to go through the Courts to fight him.)

You obviously did the right thing because it was what your son wanted and you are a good parent, but this little boy is just two and has never met her.

This is why I think it would be sensible (and reasonable) for the father to ask the court to make a restricted supervised contact order with an initial frequency of about 2 hours a week. I don't think that they will order anything like overnight or weekend contact at this stage.

I totally understand the issues here... i've been through them myself with the other side's family. But you must put the child's interests first otherwise the child may not thank you in later life.

The reasons for her is that she wants to establish a relationship and she has the legal right to as his nan.

We were asked verbally our reasons and her solicitor spoke for her and then they granted her permission to apply. We then have had the section 7 done and are back in on tuesday.

It could be that Tuesday is a directions hearing then when the court will ask for statements from both parties. If so, no order will be made then. How long is the hearing listed for?

• Haha 1

30 minutes doesn't sound long enough for a full hearing.

What exactly happened at the first one? Was it just about giving her permission to apply for contact? If so, I would think this is the Directions Hearing for the actual application.

I think you might be able to take someone to speak for you - Sam will advise - but the best person to speak would be your partner as he is her son.

You might want to see if there is a Duty Solicitor at the court.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The first one was her application to apply for contact. Cafcass did a report but only a short one before that just saying there were no safeguarding issues. None of us have provided written statements. Her application was granted and a section 7 report was carried out for the hearing on tuesday.

It is at a magistrates court and are there duty solicitors there? Do you have to pay?

Yes, there should be one or more Duty Solicitor - phone the court tomorrow to confirm. No, you do not have to pay :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D