University demands immediate payment of tutition fees in bulk, otherwise threat of legal action

kosebamse
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3727 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

My situation regards unpaid tuitions fees.

I have started part-time postgraduate study in September without the money to cover tuition fees (looking for a full-time job and deferring wouldn't have sorted out the issue as this course's fees go up quite a bit every year). I hedged my bets I would get a part-time job that would allow me pay off the fees whilst studying on the part-time basis. I have received an invoice from the university in October to pay the fees. Needless to say, having no money, I have disregarded the invoice, nor proposed any alternative payment plan at this time. I can't imagine if I contacted the university it would have okay-ed my saying I hadn't a single penny to pay the fees.

In March I have received an email prompting me to pay the full amount immediately. Since January, I have made some savings (having odd jobs here and there). To the email I received I replied by asking if they would agree to payment by instalments. Unfortunately, the reply was that the university "cannot agree a payment plan for making payment of your tuition fees," on the basis I had not requested to pay by instalements nor informed university of my situation beforehand. I was informed If I don't make the full payment immediately, the university will first ban all services and access to the buildings, then withdraw me from university, then undertake the legal action to collect the fees regardless whether I would be withdrawn or not.

The fact is, I'm keen to pay, I just don't have the full amount right now. In principle, I could pay around 35-40% immediately and the remaining amount over the course of the following 4-5 months.

The reply I received was from an income assistant who, I believe, might be following some strict policy guidelines. Should I get in touch either by email or in person (which is better?) with a person above, say - income manager or income deputy to sort out this issue? Can I make the university to agree to instalments? After all, they will be better off by getting all the money, though delayed and I'd be better of by continuing my education and, in the long run, getting better job (instead of, say, benefits) so could contribute back to the society by paying (higher) taxes. I can provide the university with stamped print outs of my bank accounts showing I don't have nearly enough to pay off the full amount now. I will not get bank loans (I tried) or possess valuables that I could sell.

Any suggestions what to do now?

Go as high up the chain as you can. The income assistant is just a lackey who, as you have said, has to follow procedures. Go above their head and see what they say.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

You didn't do yourself any favours by ignoring the invoice and not telling the uni about your situation, but surely they must have some sort of system for dealing with people in financial difficulty. I agree there must be someone more senior to speak to.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS