Work issues

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3729 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning all,

Think I've posted in right place?

So my issue is work related;

The company I work for is a private company

We have worked here since October last year & we had to complete 3 month probationary period, which has now since past, hardly any staff have had a review (myself included) since the end of the probationary period, I need to know where we stand from a legal point of view in regards to dismissals & sackings

They have sacked a few people recently due to poor performance / attitude etc

Yet surely if there were these issue they would have to give you warnings / re training etc?

Seems to me that they just do what they want but I know there are certain procedures they should follow?

Hope this makes sense?

Nic 😄

A probationary period is a bit of a red herring. They can dismiss you for any non discriminatory reason for the first two years in employment, provided they pay you adequate notice.

No procedure generally required unless it's contractual.

That's mad! Lol

So what's the point in probationary periods if they can do what they want dispite how long you have worked there?

Thanks guys appreciate your help / advise

The only useful point of a PB is where successful completion will allow access to additional benefits - such as a salary enhancement, gym membership, company sick pay etc - other than that an employer might as well state that all new employees will be on a two year probation, because in reality, unless they don't like your colour, gender, disability, sexuality (or any of the other protected characteristics), you can be dismissed with no option to take a case for Unfair Dismissal to a Tribunal.

It used to be one year, but our beloved coalition Government decided that it should be easier for employers to get rid of staff without being burdened by potential legal action!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!