PC Problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2617 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you increase the virtual memory anyone? I am totally useless with the gubbins of a computer! this is a new one with windows 8, last couple of days has seems slow so did a health check on it and it said virtual memory low! have done a disc frag , removed bits not needed, not rechecked since, I am at a loss tbh as onlly use it for internet, chat, play odd game etc, do not d/l films or music, maybe me a comps do not get on? lol

Press the Windows Key & X at the same time, to pop up a menu.

Select System.

Advanced System Settings.

Advanced Tab

Settings button in Performance Group

Advanced Tab

Change Button

Can somebody help me with what services etc I can cut down on my laptop - I replaced the keyboard yesterday with a new one (it has been dropped a couple of times and some of the keys had come off, and a couple weren't working). New keyboard cost all of £9.29 from the Internet and took the removal of 3 screws to replace it.

I have a Dell Studio 1555 which I mostly use for emails, internet and audio books.

What services do you have running and what version of Windows are you running?

To get a list of services that run on boot, press Windows key & R, then in the dialog box type msconfig. A new screen will open, select the services tab, and tick "hide all microsoft services"

Despite all the jokes, switching it off and back on again is one of the most useful IT fixes going.

Sounds like the VM is back to normal then, looking at those figures.

I'm on 8.1 - it's very similar to 8, but you get a start menu in the bottom right, and can choose to boot to desktop instead of the start tiles screen.

• Confused 1

tried glary; the reg repair, sfc again (clean), error check (no errors), uninstall (same message as before). still no joy!

thinking about doing a w7 sp1 repair install? do you think that will help?

and/or the MS Install Clean Up utility?

any thoughts? thanks.

Did you see if you had the windows update I mentioned before? A googly suggests that it could have caused issues!

• 2 weeks later...