Does my previous employment dismissal effect my references?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3755 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there

I was on this forum roughly 1 year ago when I was called to a disciplinary meeting by my employer, I was given the choice to resign by choice or to be dismissed and appeal and I chose appeal. Obviously I lost the appeal and was then dismissed. By the way I was dismissed as my employer felt my sickness was too high and not in line with there standards etc even though I came with full medical evidence to show I was suffering from severe migraines since 10years old and they had significantly got worsened and was due to attend a appointment with a neurologist for further investigation.

I now have a year later applied for another role for which i have been offered the job subject to compete reference checks obtained. I have so far not been asked if I was previously dismissed from my role at all so I haven't lied.

I'm just wondering wether my previous dismissal will show up on my reference. The new job is for British airways and would be for a airside pass.

Everyone's help would be appreciated as the anticipation is killing me.

Hello there

I was on this forum roughly 1 year ago when I was called to a disciplinary meeting by my employer, I was given the choice to resign by choice or to be dismissed and appeal and I chose appeal. Obviously I lost the appeal and was then dismissed. By the way I was dismissed as my employer felt my sickness was too high and not in line with there standards etc even though I came with full medical evidence to show I was suffering from severe migraines since 10years old and they had significantly got worsened and was due to attend a appointment with a neurologist for further investigation.

I now have a year later applied for another role for which i have been offered the job subject to compete reference checks obtained. I have so far not been asked if I was previously dismissed from my role at all so I haven't lied.

I'm just wondering wether my previous dismissal will show up on my reference. The new job is for British airways and would be for a airside pass.

Everyone's help would be appreciated as the anticipation is killing me.

Was the employer who dismissed you your most recent employer or have you held a job since?

What do your prospective employers require from you when they ask for details for references ?

Does the new post require a reference from your most recent employer? Most recent two employers? Do you get to choose which past employers you can use for references?

Yes that was my most recent employer. Since then it's been a year I've took this time for treatment and getting better and now i can control my migraines when I feel them coming on. I feel ready and fit for employment.my previous employer was BAA at the airport.

My new possible employer if these references don't mess up are in fact British airways. They need reference for the airside pass to cover all gaps in the last 5 years. My most recent employment is shown as BAA a year back and for the time between being dismissed to now I have put a character reference.

A lot of people have said I should have left bAA off my CV however i didn't want to lie at all as I still feel that was a one off where I was under so much stress. My mother was diagnosed with brain tumour around that time too and she also suffered from migraines. She had the same symptoms which scared me too. That's why I had so many appointments and long wait to be investigated.

It would be extremely bad advice to leave any employment off an application form - not only could that be considered an act of fraud if discovered later and you had gained an advantage by failing to disclose, but especially with a job requiring airside clearance, the vetting is likely to be extremely thorough and would certainly be discovered.

You should disclose whatever you are asked to provide, and if the subject of the previous dismissal is discussed, then you can quite legitimately add that the dismissal was for a series of absences triggered by a medical condition, however you have taken time away from employment since then in order to properly diagnose and treat the conditon and are pleased to report that the chance of further absences are now minimised as a result.

Honesty with a frank explanation is always best if you want to gain the trust of a prospective employer!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Thanks sidewinder for your response

Of course that's what I intend to do if they discover I was dismissed. I'm just curious to know wether they would just ask for dates or wether BAA would say more then confirming dates.

We'll if it comes up I do hope British airways question me about it so that I can tell them honestly about it.

I have little doubt that even if not a detailed reference there would be a requirement to indicate the reason for dismissal as this could be highly relevant to the post being applied for - had you been dismissed for dishonesty, for example, then this might cause concern where the new employer might be putting you in charge of passengers' belongings.

A dismissal for an explainable record of absence however would be different - more so if you are able to discuss it fully with the person making the decision. I wish you the very best of luck with your application :-)

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I just thought i would update this thread so that it benefits anyone else in the same boat. I spoke to one of my union reps and they spoke to HR for me asking what their reference policy is. HR confirmed they only give dates etc and wont mention anything of dismissed based on sickness policy.