Motorhome Hire Debacle

cankster
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3763 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning all,

I recently hired a Motorhome from a local one man/one van company. Period of hire was 5 days at a cost of £460 + £750 deposit (unlimited mileage).

I collected motorhome on a narrow street and

did a quick check for damage (owner and myself did a quick look round) but nothing was signed,

upon collection Motorhome had just under a quarter tank of fuel.

On the second day of the hire Motorhome died on the side of the motorway (after approx 200 miles).

Cause of failure was faulty turbo which caused Diesel run on which terrified both me and my daughter.

Eventually after 45 minutes on the side of the motorway with my teenage daughter we were recovered,

we were then towed (at the Motorhome owners insistence) all the way back to Bristol.

Motorhome was left by recovery company at garage of owners choice

and I then popped to his home and dropped keys off (no alternative motorhome was offered).

24 hrs later owner contacts me to advise he has found a scratch on motorhome

and is retaining my deposit (he has refunded the original £460 hire fee).

Questions/issues are -

1. I am unaware of scratch and contest it was done by myself,

scratch could have been there before hire commenced,

while vehicle was being received or while vehicle was left unattended in street after recovery.

2. I have lost 3/4 of a tank of diesel, the monies paid for overnight pitches booked in advance and my holiday.

Where do I stand with

a) contesting the deposit retention and

b) reclaiming some or all of the monies lost in diesel/booked pitches.

I have also had to pay for alternative accommodation to continue my holiday.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Edited by cankster
adding info/spelling

Halifax - £2500

Legal & Trade - Webt to courtfor Breach CCA, Complained to OFT they ruled in my favour, So did court, 2k written off.

NatWest - Contactual Interest - Won:p

Does the owner of the motor home have a business renting out the motor home? He should have given you a VAT receipt. If not, how was the insurance arranged?

Yes, I received vat receipt via email. All monies were paid via bank transfer.

Halifax - £2500

Legal & Trade - Webt to courtfor Breach CCA, Complained to OFT they ruled in my favour, So did court, 2k written off.

NatWest - Contactual Interest - Won:p

Either way he has no right to retain your deposit as he would claim off the insurance that you would have taken out with the vehicle. It could be that he is hiring out a private vehicle and his insurance company does not know. any insurance taken out on the vehicle while it was hired to you would be in your name and up to you to make the claim.

I must admit that £750 seems excessive for a scratch. BTW how old is the motorhome? Have you visually inspected the scratch to see if it is "fresh" and have you been given the opportunity to get quotes for the repair? Is the scratch on the bodywork on the caravan part. If on the caravan part Caravanmedic do an excellent job on repairs. It may be a common stunt that he is pulling.

Why did you not take out CDW insurance to limit your liability?

What insurance was offered and what was the excess?

In the terms and conditions what does it say about mechanical failure? compensation and recovery?

In any event you can take him to court and let a judge decide whats fair.

Also he needs to give you a quote for the repair.