ESA support group descriptors

mushkin85
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3764 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Would the following descriptor apply if the person went for a face to face assessment:

"Engagement in social contact is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the individual"

I would argue that an assessment is not strictly speaking 'social' contact, and that also the ability to attend one mandatory assessment with great difficulty and support, does not mean that it isn't 'always' precluded under normal circumstances.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I would argue that an assessment is not strictly speaking 'social' contact, and that also the ability to attend one mandatory assessment with great difficulty and support, does not mean that it isn't 'always' precluded under normal circumstances.

Yes. The mere fact that someone attended a medical (under what is effectively duress) can't be taken to mean that they can cope with social contact in general.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

:mushkin85:

This descriptor for social engagement has come to the attention of several tribunal judges during the last eighteen months or so.

We've got a distinction between social engagement (going to a dinner party with friends) and statutory engagement (seeing one's doctor or fronting up to Atos). Actually getting to a doctor or Atos is considered statutory engagement, especially if the claimant has to be coaxed into a conversation with the assessor. A claimant who can engage in chit chat with the doctor's receptionist or the supermarket cashier is unlikely to meet the descriptor for the support component.

Latest case from the Upper Tribunal;

http://www.osscsc.gov.uk/Aspx/view.aspx?id=3947

Best wishes, Margaret. :panda:

Yes. The mere fact that someone attended a medical (under what is effectively duress) can't be taken to mean that they can cope with social contact in general.

I actually got that fact mentioned on my medical report as a plus point - well I passed the medical!

You have got to attend these medicals, no matter what the cost health wise, and I did point out in both my ESA form and to the doc who carried out the medical that these medicals, well any place I HAVE to visit, messes me up for days after.

I do not choose to go out accept for these must does (they could sit outside my house for weeks) and monitor me, I go nowhere.

So make it known how it effects you.

In those extreme situations, can't they vist you..

It is possible in some cases, yes. You need to ask and sometimes provide supporting evidence from your doctor. But even if they come to your house, that still involves contact with strangers and it isn't optional.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

:Engagement in Social Contact:

The issue here isn't about physically travelling to an Atos centre. It's about whether a claimant sits in silence on the bus, or in a taxi, and leaves a chaperone to pay the fare. Or whether s/he can chat to the driver about the weather, or the news, or whatever.

When Atos agree to a home visit and the claimant (cos of his/her condition) has to be encouraged out of a bedroom to sit mute or talk in monosyllables , it shouldn't count as social engagement.

For claimants who need a home visit cos of mobility problems, or anxiety, agoraphobia;

http://blog.atoshealthcare.com/2012/08/atos-healthcare-arranging-a-home-visit-for-your-work-capability-assessment

Margaret.

Would the following descriptor apply if the person went for a face to face assessment:

"Engagement in social contact is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the individual"

I would have thought that anyone who was this bad would be assisted by a helper.

This question, it would seem to me, would apply to someone who never goes out and only engages with a very limited and trusted number of people.