Conditional offer of employment - 1 reference outstanding

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3796 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hope I'm posting in the right place, would be extremely grateful to get some insight/guidance/thoughts, after short time in-between jobs and unemployed I recently have been offered a job under a "conditional offer" - whilst I passed the credit check, DBS check and am aware I need 5 years checkable work history in refs, it has come to light 1 previous employer just hasn't responded within the last fortnight despite 2 requests from the recruiter and it has now been requested I myself personally 'call' to see if I can get anywhere (never had to do this before and not relishing it either... whilst it was fair to say it was volatile with this employer, was one of those zero hours worker not by choice I really liked to think when I picked up they had overpaid me once and then thanks for honesty this may have aided a reference if for nothing else, I was under the impression they had previously supplied/responded to references requests, this being the first I've heard of them not replying)

Like I said there is an agony that stems from being aware of an earlier organisation I'd applied to only within the last year who said at the time they had received a reference from this employer who is now not responding, so I'm thinking crazily could I not just do similar to a 'subject access request' if it comes to it? ironically this occasion saw a withdrawal of job offer due to not passing the credit check then, which now is ok/passable and remember it was said it was a shame there was a withdrawal because they had the references back ??? although I would later discover this application was a bit floored from the start so I can only hope I wasn't lied to then which is why I want to see if they did really receive the references...

I appreciate it is Christmas and there isn't much I can do until the new year - leaving me stewing - from experience does anyone know if officially an organisation has to give a certain length of time for receiving reference? (letter when conditionally offered job doesn't say) there is also some money at steak for paying out to have the DBS done which gets lost if application isn't successful with the organisation I'm now hopeful to get a job with :sad:

Thanks for hearing me out and appreciate any input :-)

Edited by Educatingfi

They are under no obligation at all to provide you a reference. What would you do if they simply replied " Sorry. We wont be supplying a reference"? There really isnt anything you can do.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

They may not have responded for any number of reasons - I once mislaid a reference request myself for example and had to be reminded, and two weeks is no time at all!

It really isn't a massive deal to phone the company concerned and to ask when they might be in a position to send the reference to your new employer - these things do happen after all - and if they state that it is not their policy to provide references (as renegade correctly says there is absolutely no obligation to provide one), then record the time and date of the call, and who told you this, then give those details to your new employer.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

An employer doesn’t usually have to give a work reference - but if they do, it must be fair and accurate.

Employers must give a reference if:

• there was a written agreement to do so
  • they’re in a regulated industry, eg financial services, healthcare

I have worked for several companies (I work as an IT contractor) where the company policy actually states "it is company policy not to provide references to former employees", although these companies may be willing to just confirm that they actually employed you.

Thanks for your response guys, yeah I totally get the not obliged to give reference if nothing else it has taught me to get this employer off my CV once and for all, 6 months ago I was told they did supply a reference to someone else that was outstanding and that was according to an insurance company, it would have helped get me a job that that was withdrawn due to other reason :-x and like I say I've never heard different which is now starting to make me feel like I was lied to :-(

I've plumed for sending an email rather then phone contact (it could be a busy time of year) so I can say I've done all I can and I've it in writing because like I say I've never been asked to phone a reference before, I'm aware of getting into arguments even down to getting into accused of slander, as far as I can make out the same person still owns the company that is required/requested to do the reference

I'm fortunate I've got a 2nd offer that isn't requiring references pushing me further into a dilemma but I can't shake off that I may have been lied to 6 months ago by a household name on the subject of references

Guess I'll find out 2nd Jan where I am considered with this

Edited by Educatingfi

They are under no obligation at all to provide you a reference. What would you do if they simply replied " Sorry. We wont be supplying a reference"? There really isnt anything you can do.

Yes I know this, thanks for claification

Updated:

Well it seems I can scrub out any ridiculous idea I had phew - I asked the now referencing company and seems they might just accept a character reference over the ex, ex, ex employer reference now anyway, thank goodness, can only boggle at what the ex employer gets out of it by keep answering their calls as it now transpires and saying "yeah I'm doing it" as sick and I'm happy to never find out if they did supply a reference previously. At least I can cross the street if I ever see the company director again.

Thanks for entertaining me, I don't usually regret who I work for : (