style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3801 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Does anyone know what the procedure is if you miss the 'named' train due to a late connection? I frequently book in advance to visit relatives on SWT and the train from Woking has to be the one stated on the ticket but I can catch any connection to Woking. The last time I travelled the connection was a bit late and I only made the booked train by a few minutes rather than the 15 it was meant to be. I just wondered where I stood if I had missed the train?

This happened to me a few years ago. I was told by railway staff that I'm allowed to get the next train; as it was due to the train running late and not me missing my connection due to me running late.

I'm sure I asked about that on here and someone did confirm that's right.

My point is the ticket is only valid on the stated train therefore if I got a later train I would be travelling without a valid ticket.

This must be a cash cow, my train was late into Bristol and missed the Scotland connection but I was allowed on the next one (many years ago).

Hi,

Does anyone know what the procedure is if you miss the 'named' train due to a late connection? I frequently book in advance to visit relatives on SWT and the train from Woking has to be the one stated on the ticket but I can catch any connection to Woking. The last time I travelled the connection was a bit late and I only made the booked train by a few minutes rather than the 15 it was meant to be. I just wondered where I stood if I had missed the train?

The generally accepted rule is that, although you do not actually have a ticket that is technically valid for the later train, if you have been delayed by a late running train causing a missed connecting service, or if any delay is wholly attributable to the rail company, then your ticket will be accepted as valid on the next available service.

There may be some issues where two companies run trains over a particular route if your ticket says 'Valid on XXXXX services only' (EG; Virgin, SWT etc.) so if there are two trains going to your destination within a few minutes of each other, it would be best to take the one being operated by the specified company, but where very long delays might be incurred, the TOCs will normally arrange to carry each others passengers.

Edited by Old-CodJA
  • Haha 1

When this happened to me last year I went to the ticket office with my booking information, explained I'd missed my booked train because of a late arrival and they certified my ticket to be used on the later train and simply advised me not to sit in a reserved seat!!

So long as you get their authorisation to change because of a late connection there shouldn't be an issue for you.

Feebee_71

So long as you get their authorisation to change because of a late connection there shouldn't be an issue for you.

Feebee_71

Spot-on, but just saying 'The man on the platform said it is OK' isn't enough

Go to the ticket office or barrier staff, get them to give you their name and put their number on the back of the ticket with an endorsement. A booking office should stamp it for you too.

Spot-on, but just saying 'The man on the platform said it is OK' isn't enough

Go to the ticket office or barrier staff, get them to give you their name and put their number on the back of the ticket with an endorsement. A booking office should stamp it for you too.

Yes, this is what you should do. My DH was going to London (from Weston-super-Mare) for a job interview. We booked a ticket online with a single change (at Bristol Temple Meads) - the train stopped between the two places (on the track) for about half an hour due to an escaped cow (oh the joys of country living). He therefore missed his connection. He spoke to the conductor (r whatever they're called now) and explained that he had now missed his connection - the ticket was endorsed so that DH could get the next train (and because we'd bought the ticket early, he had a first class seat cos it was cheaper than the standard class!) and gave him a voucher for a drink at the station.