Probation period question re sick leave

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3838 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I started a new job at the beginning of october. The day before starting I broke my wrist. However, I've been able to do my job and as far as I know there were no issues with my performance. Last week, the day after I had my splint removed I was asked to lift heavy boxes (not usually part of my job) and shortly after my wrist and hand became sore and started to swell. Few days later it was so swollen I couldn't dress and now have to keep it raised. Was off work for three days last week after being advised complete rest for it and having it raised to reduce swelling and had hoped to return today but still have to see the doctor. It's still swollen though not as bad and I have some limited movement in it.

I'm really worried how this will affect my probation period. I'm reluctant to take any more time off incase I'm let go but I'm worried going back too early could leave permanent damage.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Your employer should not be expecting you to carry out lifting that might exacerbate an existing injury!

Have you actually spoken to them about the pain that this is causing and the likelihood of prolonging your recovery? Very often a polite request to be excused any heavy lifting will set things straight - and at the very least they should be carrying out a risk assessment if this lifting is a normal function of your job - after all you may be putting not only yourself but others at risk of harm if you were to drop a heavy object.

If it were me I would be explaining that whilst the injury was not caused by the employer, and that being a relative newcomer you desperately want to e a team player and to do everything that is required of you, you are finding that the heavier lifting tasks are putting your injury under strain and causing excess pain and risking further damage. This should not damage your probation in any shape or form. I appreciate the concern that you have that they might 'let you go' if you don't lift the boxes, but in all honesty they can pretty much do that anyway at any point in the first two years of service and I would not consider that a short term injury restricting some of the work tasks should be a reason to get rid of you. If it is, then they will probably 'create' other reasons to do so in any case.

If your work in other areas is good, and you are generally popular, then a 'probation' actually means very little!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi thanks for the replies.

Saw the doctor and am going back to work tomorrow so will definetly high light about lifting. I'm worried thiough that I'm giving them cause to think about keeping me on if they think there's going to be a problem.

I haven't seen OH only doctors and physio. Doctor said today I have a torn ligament in my hand which wasn't there at the time of the original injury so is likely to have been caused by the heavy lifting and not holding it correctly to compensate for the original injusry. My alternatives were complete cast and four weeks healing but that would mean unable to work or supports and a 6-8 week healing process that will be quite painful but at least I can go in. I've chosen not to take the castin the hope that returning sooner will help my case at the end of probation.