Doctor's Appointments & Work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3874 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good Afternoon.

A colleague of mine is 9 weeks pregnant(unplanned but happy) and has used up all her holiday for this year.

Unfortunately, due to her having 3 miscarriage's in the past the doctor's are ensuring she goes in for more appointments then a standard pregnancy up until 13 weeks.

Our employer has now said that for any appointments she's required to attend, she won't get her standard pay and only statutory sick pay will be recieved. This will be the case even if she is only out of the office for a 2-3hours.

The company may have covered themselves in the employee handbook but surely there must be slighty more compassion to expecting mothers???

Any advice would be great, thank you.

https://www.gov.uk/working-when-pregnant-your-rights

"It’s illegal for employers to refuse to give pregnant employees time off for antenatal care or refuse to pay their normal rate for this time off, but fathers don’t have a legal right to time off to accompany their partners."

• Haha 1

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

yes but as connif said if the Op is too agressive in their actions the proverbial crosshair will be painted on their back and they will be sniped off for a-n-other reason

i would be writing to them to confirm their decision and simply asking

"Can you please inform me if you do intend to deduct my pay during any appointment for pregancy related reasons such as ante natal care as it is my understanding that employers are obliged to pay their normal rate of pay.

I will be more than happy to supply you with a list of appointment dates and also if required an appointment card from my GP to evidence these apointments

Thank You Insert Name"

No quoting of law, no i've taken advice, no my solicitor will put you through the mincer etc.

Just to add: unless your firm have someone with real HR experience to guide their policies I wouldn't just think the directors were idiots (and a board of directors who were inept's decisions over 1 employees sickness would be the least of your worries if so!) I'd think their policy was incorrect as it was either wrong in the first place unbeknownst to them or hadn't been updated to reflect legislative changes.