APC courier damaged my item

woodstock
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I purchased a wrought iron second hand bed surround from Ebay. I live in Orkney I arranged my courier AJG parcels to collect the item from Leeds and deliver it to me. They used another courier APC to collect the item and deliver it to their Inverness depot. It arrived there damaged. AJG delivered it to me and I signed for it and it was signed for as damaged.

The driver told me to ring AJG in Inverness. I have just rung them they have told me that APC do not cover second hand items and so I have no claim. I was not informed this when I arranged for the collection and was not aware that AJG used different couriers. The bed is very well made from forged steel and it was bubble wrapped particularly the brass and ceramic finials on the bed ends. But despite this they have managed to damage both the top and bottom ends of the beds on the same side even managing to bend a thick screw about 6 inches long that held a finial in place. Both of the ceramic large balls were smashed, the brass finials are dented and one is missing along with its 6" screw and brass finial cap. It was an £800 bed originally. Do I have any rights as this is very careless almost deliberate mishandling by the courier?

You do have a claim. They have insurance for this type of thing. It makes no difference if its second or third hand. They are employed to courier an item from point A to point B. It makes no difference if its brand new or used.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I agree.

I have had couriers try to get me to take out insurance for packages I have had collected and delivered. So be careful the courier does not try to fob you off by stating your item was uninsured. They have a duty to take reasonable care of items in their possession. Recently I had a package 'disappear' whilst in the care of a courier and they tried to fob me off by stating hard luck - no insurance no compensation. When threatened with the small claims and trading standards they backed down and paid me the value (cost I paid) for the item. However they did tell me in no uncertain terms they would not do business with me again. Needless to say I am losing no sleep about it.