Rejecting car SOGA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3842 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Here's the key points:

Car purchased from trader/garage nearly 3 months ago. Deposit was trade-in & rest paid on credit card

Steering has been faulty on a couple of occasions. 1st time repaired he were given a loan car (not roadworthy). 2nd time repaired, left without a car for 2 weeks (new baby born so was a nightmare). They fitted 3 or 4 PAS racks.

Last Friday, fluid drained out of PAS pump (RAC report to confirm this)

He wants to reject the car now & I said I'd help him with letters etc.

Couple of questions:

Where can I find a template letter for rejection?

Should he take the car back to the garage (but keep the keys & the log book)?

Should he leave at home, but just send/deliver the rejection letter?

He wants them to refund the remaining tax also - can I put this in the letter?

Thanks for any help

you will need to return the vehicle with the keys and reg documents but you can reclaim the tax by keeping the disc and filling out the relevant form available from the post office. You letter of rejection must list the problems found and why repairs have been unsatisfactory, state that the vehicle is not fit for purpose and therefore rejected under the SoGA. Your RAC report will help you in this respect if the car is unroadworthy or the faults should have been apparent to a knowledgeable person like a motor dealer. The time the car was with you and fault free will have a bearing on the success of your claim, along with the age and price paid for the vehicle because if it was too cheap to be true then it will be assumed that you knew that there was a reason for this. If you get no joy then you approach your CC company and claim against them as being jointly responsible under s.75 of the Consumer Credit Act. Obviously this is best sorted out without resorting to CC claim but beware of an offer that is less than you paid because you "enjoyed" the car for a time. This shouldnt apply in this case

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. They have delivered the letter and the time is now up. They haven't heard anything. The car is parked up & hasn't been used.

They paid £950 on a credit card. Should they do a charge-back & go to court for the rest? If so, can somebody help with the court paperwork?

Thanks