Swedish student loan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3720 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Firstly, apologies if posting under incorrect room ...first time posting.

I'm a UK resident (owning property in the UK ) but Swedish citizen. I have quite big student loan debts in Sweden which I am unable to pay.

Swedish student loan company has now threatened to sell the debt to UK debt collectors (I have not yet received letters as I have disputed the debt and its being looked at in Swedish court (unlikely they will accept the dispute though). Can a Swedish debt be enforced in the UK and can they eventually take the property away from me/us (joint beneficiaries) ? I have paid some of the debts off when I could afford a couple of years ago but its stacking up now and its just impossible for us to pay at this moment in time. Is it worth waiting for the case to be reviewed in a UK court and repay in installments what I can afford instead of being "robbed" or/and having to pay a very large one off sum...

I read on previous thread that someone sent them a CCA request letter and got case withdrawn and after that did not hear anything...not sure why Csn did not chase the debt the year after as they are aksing for money every year until you paid it off in full!

Is it worth ignoring the letters from CSN and see if they end up with debt collectors (likely I know)? I'm not on electoral roll and phone is ex directory but of course it does not really matter as they have got my UK address.

As I understand it so fa to use European Enforcement Orders they would have to take me to court in Sweden?

The swedish student loan was partly for studying in the uk ( and some for studying in Sweden). Got no uk student loan.

Cheers

If they are threatening to sell the debt, this must surely mean that they are not confident they could enforce the debt in the UK. In theory they could gain a court judgement in Sweden and then try to get a UK court to enforce it here. But would they bother, if they might not be able to recover their costs.

Think you need to research more about the Swedish student loan terms regarding enforcement of any debt outside of Sweden. This will be a key factor when deciding how you are going to play this. With UK student loans, the legislation allows for enforcement overseas.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I have tried doing some research- bit of a jungle but won't give up :) .

Found this article on The local "Sweden stop chasing student loan fugitives "

"Debt collection in these two countries is considered too expensive, Metro reports.

"It is costly and complicated to take legal action in the United States and England," CSN spokesman Ulf Ståhl told the newspaper. "

but of course this article is very old and things progressed since. Will do some more research, maybe seek some legal advice.

If any one got experience of similar situation please let us know what happened.

• 4 months later...

Hello Mike,

I was just reading your thread and am curious to know where you're at now? I too have had a letter from the CSA after a very long time of no contact, shortly followed by a letter from a Swedish debt collecting agency.

It would be really helpful to hear what you have found through your research or what has happened.

You may not get a response from Mike. They have not logged into CAG since Oct 2013 and won't get an email because of your post to the thread. You should get advice from whoever deals with Swedish student loans. With student loans, it is not wise to go on the run and ignore payment requirements.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks for you response and comment uncle bulgaria.

I didn't realise that previous posts don't get notifcation of further comments on thread. I am new here. Is there a way that this can happen? I want to sort my situation out now and saw a couple of threads re this on this very useful site, so hoped I could get some advice.

Thanks again

Thanks for you response and comment uncle bulgaria.

I didn't realise that previous posts don't get notifcation of further comments on thread. I am new here. Is there a way that this can happen? I want to sort my situation out now and saw a couple of threads re this on this very useful site, so hoped I could get some advice.

Thanks again

They only way the previous poster will get a message, is if you click on the triangle and ask the site team, whether they would send them an email notification or a PM that would trigger an email. They are not set up currently to receive PM's from anyone apart from the site team at the moment.

If this is a Swedish student loan debt, are there are Swedish forums that you can post to ? This is a UK site, so you are unlikely to get any advice.

An email has been sent to the thread starter.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Enforcement of judgments within the EU is quite straightforward. Local courts are not permitted to re-examine judgments granted by other EU states and must enforce them without question. There is a clear process for registering foreign judgments in the UK (and should be a similar process in Sweden) which leads to automatic enforcement, although this would mean they have to instruct lawyers. Your average debt collector probably wouldn't bother with this process.

I'm not sure what the terms of the student loan are. If it is a contract, check to see what that contract says about which courts have jurisdiction. If the contract does not say anything about jurisdiction then the creditor can probably choose whether to sue in Sweden or in the UK.

It wouldn't be a European Enforcement Order. These are only really for uncontested and default judgments so not applicable to you.

If you want to sue them, probably better to do it in Sweden as the UK courts will be much more hesitant about contesting foreign debt issues.

CCA won't apply so pointless to do a CCA request.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS