Parked beyond bay markings PCN 86 council parking fine

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3889 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent an informal challenge to council indicating I'd bought a ticket and that the area I was parked in looked like a legitimate area to park in and I was not causing an obstruction.

I had to tell 5 other people not to park next to me as I was gathering evidence showing that the floor markings were confusing.

My informal challenge was rejected saying that "every bay in this car park is marked by white lines and is numbered using large painted letters".

The definition of a parking bay on the Collins online dictionary is "a space in a car park designed to be large enough to park a vehicle in".

The space I was parked in was certainly large enough to put 3 small cars, and the floor markings made me think (and many others) that this was a designated space.

There were no signs to say otherwise.

Residential "bays" on roads are long and thin and not necessarily spaced individually for cars.

Do you think I should take this further with an official challenge arguing this point / the lack of signs / or the slightly damaged sign

indicating that this is a penalty in the first place?

Any help fighting this will be much appreciated.

I've never fought these bullies before trying to kick my rice bowl away.

How can you be sure of that? Have you got anything in writing confirming that was the case?

The fact as I see it, is that you were hanging outside of what looks to me like a parking space (number or no number - how would anyone know it needs one). I think it is a parking space, but that you were too big to fit in, in which case the PCN would be legit.

Out of interest, do you know if the two cars next to you were ticketed? They are both fully inside the space.

How can you be sure of that? Have you got anything in writing confirming that was the case?

The fact as I see it, is that you were hanging outside of what looks to me like a parking space (number or no number - how would anyone know it needs one). I think it is a parking space, but that you were too big to fit in, in which case the PCN would be legit.

Out of interest, do you know if the two cars next to you were ticketed? They are both fully inside the space.

The part in quotes (1st post) from their rejection of the informal challenge implies that everywhere without white lines or numbers is not a 'bay area' . I don't know if the others got a ticket.

It looks from your photos as if there are bays painted there. No numbers maybe, but I think they are probably provided as parking spaces. I do think you were ticketed for jutting out, but that's only my hunch based on the evidence here. If I am right, I can't see you have a line of appeal. If I am wrong, and they reason that this is not a parking space at all, I think you do.

If you could get it in black and white that these are not parking spaces, then I think that would be worth taking forward.

• 4 weeks later...
It looks from your photos as if there are bays painted there. No numbers maybe, but I think they are probably provided as parking spaces. I do think you were ticketed for jutting out, but that's only my hunch based on the evidence here. If I am right, I can't see you have a line of appeal. If I am wrong, and they reason that this is not a parking space at all, I think you do.

If you could get it in black and white that these are not parking spaces, then I think that would be worth taking forward.

I am taking this further and finally have a notice to owner. Do I have to tick 'the alleged contravention did not occur' or 'the order of contravention is invalid' or 'other'?

Thanks